News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

346 engine THERMOSTAT (1941 Sixty Special)

Started by Virgil Perkins, August 13, 2020, 05:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgil Perkins

Is there a sure fire way to check if a thermostat is PROPERLY functioning other than setting it on a brick in pan and boiling the water to see if it opens?
I bought a used one from a vendor (NOT cheap) for my 1941 6019 SF, did this test in which it opened, installed it and it lasted 2 drives, now will not open, did have severe overheating and lost almost all coolant. Made for very expensive two day driving, not to mention having a hot old time at car show last Saturday.
Also, is anyone rebuilding these hummers? Just missed one on eBay few weeks back but did not think I needed one.
One additional question. Has anyone replaced the tank on a 346 radiator so as to utilize the modern thermostat?
Have my shutters locked open, have never used anyway.
Nah, I'm not frustrated. Thanks in advance for response, VP
Virgil Perkins

Jim Miller

Virgil
Fortunately I’ve never had a problem with my bellows thermostat, but the guys always told me if I do have a problem I can just disconnect the arm and leave the vanes open. When I was making an updated list of where to find parts, Mike from Cadillac Parts Ltd. either had or had assess to them.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

bariman

I have repaired several thermostats for my 39 by unsoldering, filling with ethyl alcohol and sealing up again.  Now, since I don't drive in the winter, I have the vents wired open all the time.

Buchholz001@bellsouth.net

gmurph

Greg Murphy CLC#24416

1941 60S
1952 Dodge B3F
1972 Coupe de Ville

Bob Schuman

Virgil,
My card file shows a possible rebuilder of the thermostat. It lists Mr. Jim Otto, 10700 Alameda Drive, Knoxville, TN.37932. Phone is 865-966-9494. I never needed his services, but was told he was formerly employed by Fulton-Sylphon Co, original maker of the style of thermostat used on 41 Cadillacs. My information is pretty old, so it may no longer be useful.

I don't know about replacing the top radiator tank with the 42-48 style, but the complete radiator will interchange with no modifications other than possibly the length of the upper hoses. Of course, that could result in replacing a good radiator with a poor one.

Unless you drive the car in cold temperatures, I would just leave the shutters blocked open and disconnected. For show, if necessary, you could reconnect at the show, then again disconnect to drive home. Many persons have had poor experience with the 41 and earlier style thermostat.

Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Jim Miller

Greg - thanks for posting the link. It looks like something that would not be that hard to tackle.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

Virgil Perkins

Thanks to all for your responses. Possibly have problems elsewhere, will be analyzing extensively. THANK YOU AGAIN, VP
Virgil Perkins