News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1937 Trunk Rubber

Started by cadillac ken, August 14, 2020, 09:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillac ken

Quick question to those who have a '37.  I'm installing new trunk rubber on my 60 series coupe.  Does the rubber go onto the trunk lid or onto the trunk gutter?

Photos?

Thanks in advance, Ken  ;)

cadillac ken

harry s

Ken, I'm not sure about the 60 Series but the 75 Series rubber goes on the deck lid.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

harvey b

On my 37 60 series,it goes into the channel on the body,there is a deep channel made for it.Has your car been modified?.I used a rubber i got from Steele,it fit just like factory.My car is a 4 door convertible sedan,its possible it may be different then a coupe. Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

cadillac ken

Thanks Harvey and Harry:

The car is original so no issues there.  The trunk gutter is deep too on my car.  But through the years on many other various cars I've seen it both ways and the design of the rubber doesn't always make it obvious.  Just want to insure against leaks.

And Yes, I try to buy from Steele when I can.  Seems like there rubber is always a good fit and lasts. To add I have not received the trunk rubber yet but while I was doing some "trunk work" I began to wonder...

Regards, Ken

Tom Beaver

The Fisher Body Service Manual for 1937 states that the rubber weatherstrip used on Coupe deck lids is cemented to a weatherstrip retainer on the underside of the lid.  and for the sedan it is cemented to a retainer on the body.  Both weatherstrips are one piece and are cemented in their respective retainers so that the ends form a butt joint at the bottom of the opening (Page 50, Figure 166).  The 38 Service manual doesn't mention the Deck lid weatherstrip, presumably because it's the same as 37.

Tom Beaver

cadillac ken

Thanks, Tom

Interesting.  My deck lid is pretty nice and not repaired and I don't see anything that resembles a "Retainer". 

When I look at the replacement rubber from Steele  it looks like a flat piece of rubber with double sided tape on it.  It looks to be about 3/4" wide by about an eighth to a quarter inch thick.  Their description says it was designed as was/is as the original seal.  But with that said they must be speaking to the sedan install because they say, if I read it correctly, it secures to the trunk gutter.

But in any event, thanks so much for the info.  Thanks to you I now know it definitely goes onto the trunk lid on my coupe-- one way or another.  It kind of perplexed me because on most other cars of the 30's I've worked on it was kind of obvious once you looked at the rubber and both the trunk lid and trunk gutter.

Regards, Ken

carlhungness

What's the difference between a 50 and 60 Series coupe? From what I saw I think Ken has a 50 Series and I think the rubber goes on the body, not the lid, will check tomorrow and let you know.

harry s

The 50 Series is LaSalle and 60 Series is Cadillac. The original post states 60 Series.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Paul Tesone

Like Harvey , my 37 6049 series has rubber in the channel surrounding the trunk opening . Sorry for the dark photos Paul Tesone CLC #6876

cadillac ken

Thanks for the photos Paul.  That's what I was thinking but of course my car is a coupe (Cadillac).  But with that said, I'm surprised that Steele lists the seal they have without a distinction between the coupe and the sedan.  Your rubber certainly is not the same as the one Steele is selling

https://www.steelerubber.com/trunk-weatherstrip-70-0798-84

This is listed as a "1937 Cadillac Series 60 coupe 2 passenger" 

harvey b

Ken,do you have a picture of the lid and trunk area of your car,possibly someone here might be able to identify what one you need?.Myself i have never seen a coupe in person ::),i just assumed they were all the same?. Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

cadillac ken

Sure I will take some photos today at the shop.  Thanks for the interest and help!

It's not so much an origianality issue but more of a don't want water leaking into the trunk issue. And here in Florida, one minute you are enjoying a nice drive in the sunshine and the next it's a torrential downpour!

Regards, Ken

harvey b

Even with the proper seal,it may not seal like a new car,back then they were not so interested in sealing everything up waterproof :-\ it was a different time back then.The original rubber most likely had metal clips to hold it in place,glue and 2 sided tape were not used much then,Im sure we can help you figure it out. Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

cadillac ken

Totally get the fact that it probably won't seal up perfectly.  Here's the photos of the trunk gutter and the trunk lid.

cadillac ken

sorry for some reason two of the same trunk lid posted.

Here is the trunk gutter;

harvey b

That looks like the channel on my car,pretty sure the same seal would work,Steele Rubber used to send out samples of the rubbers they make,not sure if they still do that.I will look and see if i have any left over from mine,i never throw out anything ;D.ill let you know tomorrow if i find it,there was a little piece left over. Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

cadillac ken

Thanks Harvey.  That would be great!

Regards, Ken

harvey b

I did find apiece of it,it is 3/4 inch square, i have a photo,when i can figure how to get it from my phone i will post it :-X. 2 of the edges are rounded off,it is soft rubber foam?.It fit in the channel on the body and fit real snug. Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

harvey b

Got them,some of this technology is getting hard to keep up with. :P
Harvey Bowness