News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1973 Eldorado E Brake Front Cable Removal

Started by 50Cad62, August 20, 2020, 09:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Cad62

Of all the things to be broken...The shop manual says to pinch the thing that holds the cable into the bracket. Mine doesn't seem to pinch, it is solid metal. Does anyone know how to get this loose? Maybe just knock it out through the slot? In any case. I need another cable, the front bracket to rear cable, does anyone have one from a '71, '72, '73, 74 Eldorado? I will pay $25 plus shipping. The junkyards are dicey about now, lots of high weeds, I won't get under a car until it gets cold out, snakes. One of the Cadillac parts places has one, $99. Maybe that is sounding cheap???

TJ Hopland

My 73 parts cars are in the same situation with high weeds and critters so I can't help there now.   I just got sent a photo of one where the recent storms ripped the top completely off one of them so I really should do something with at least that one.

I have to run out to mine to take a photo of something else I will take a peek and see if I can easily see anything.   I have never messed with it on the eldo but I have replaced them on other GM stuff and don't remember that being the difficult part of the process. 

Anyone know what years interchange and is it Eldo only or any car?   On a recent bicycle ride a saw someone that looked to be parting out what looked to be a 74 deville or fleetwood. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TJ Hopland

I just took a peek at mine and it looks the same as every GM I have ever messed with.    Looks like the end of the cable has a 'lead bullet' thing cast into the end of the cable.   The arm has a pivoting hangar like thing with a slot in it so you lay the cable through the slot and as soon as you pull the slack out of the cable the bullet drops into the hangar things and locks the cable in. 

I'm not sure what they are talking about pinching.  Maybe the hangar thing to put some tension on the bullet?   Or was the bullet crimped onto the end of the cable in some cases rather than being pre made?   If its the hangar thing it looks like you should be able to stick a big screwdriver or pry bar in the cable slot and spread it.   

50Cad62

Yes, I see how the end, or bullet drops in, the other point of attachment is where I was hung up. I don't want to break mine, I thought I'd do a junkyard car first. The shop manual shows a round thing with flanges, you pinch the flanges, and, the whole assembly drops through, then pull it through the body back to the other, or rear cable. Yes, I will try to separate that groove a little more with a screwdriver, but again, when I get an old car to work on. Or get another cable. The catalogue lists Eldo 71 72 73 74 for the $99 front cable. I don't know why a 75 or 76 Eldo wouldn't work. Or the Devilles?

50Cad62

TJ Hopland

75 Eldo got a cat converter which caused some routing changes in the exhaust so that likely also caused some routing changes in the cable, also had the option of rear disc brake.   76 rear disc became standard so maybe some changes to accommodate different travel distances required for drums vs disc?   

Mine is currently parked on a hill with the brake set so I was not able to try and wiggle the cable end to see if it was tight in that hangar or if it would maybe fairly easily pop out.    Actually I don't even know if that end is visible without the brake set?   I was kinda surprised I could even see it but I don't often look up there especially when the brake is set.   

50Cad62

You can see it if you peel the carpet back. I put my phone camera in there and took a picture of  the round metal piece attached to the wire, and, the slot. No tangs on the metal.