News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New forum member

Started by 1940s72, August 23, 2020, 10:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1940s72

Thanks for having me and I look forward to sharing my experience with our first Cadillac!  It is a 1940 s72.

-Rusty
-Rusty

harry s

Rusty, Welcome to the forum and congrats on your acquisition of a great looking car. From the data plate it looks to be an early production of a seven passenger touring sedan. The total production for the one year only Series 72 is said to be 1526 in 80 Years of Cadillac. Keep us posted on your progress and things you discover about the car.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

1940s72

Quote from: harry s on August 23, 2020, 11:13:42 AM
Rusty, Welcome to the forum and congrats on your acquisition of a great looking car. From the data plate it looks to be an early production of a seven passenger touring sedan. The total production for the one year only Series 72 is said to be 1526 in 80 Years of Cadillac. Keep us posted on your progress and things you discover about the car.    Harry

Thanks for the welcome and info, Harry! 
-Rusty

z3skybolt

Wow!

A genuine barn find.  Amazing that there are still such nice looking Cadillac hiding away.  Congratulations.

Bob R.
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Chris Bryant #19358

Hi there! What a find! Congratulations! Does it run?
Welcome aboard!

Chris Bryant #19358

PS Free membership for 6 months has just been introduced so I encourage you to take advantage.

chrisntam

Great job on passing the new member test.  You posted pictures!

I always liked that '40 front end.  The designers ruined it in '41.   ;)

Welcome!! 

And be sure to take advantage of that 6 month free membership!  Would love to see that car at an upcoming Grand National, next one is in July in Albuquerque.

What part of the country are you located?, assuming you're in the USA...

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

1940s72

Quote from: z3skybolt on August 23, 2020, 12:46:36 PM
Wow!
A genuine barn find.  Amazing that there are still such nice looking Cadillac hiding away.  Congratulations.
Bob R.
Thanks!

Quote from: chrisntam on August 23, 2020, 02:33:28 PM
Great job on passing the new member test.  You posted pictures!
I always liked that '40 front end.  The designers ruined it in '41.   ;)
Welcome!! 
And be sure to take advantage of that 6 month free membership!  Would love to see that car at an upcoming Grand National, next one is in July in Albuquerque.
What part of the country are you located?, assuming you're in the USA...
Thanks!  Yes, I love pictures too!  There will be more to come.  I'm located in Maryland, USA.  Albuquerque would be quite the trip!

Quote from: Chris Bryant #19358 on August 23, 2020, 01:46:25 PM
Hi there! What a find! Congratulations! Does it run?
Welcome aboard!
Chris Bryant #19358
PS Free membership for 6 months has just been introduced so I encourage you to take advantage.
Thanks!  It does not run yet.  It was missing the carburetor, but I've got my hands on one.  I'm soaking the plugs right now for removal.

-Rusty

savemy67

Hello Rusty,

Great job with the photos - like a butterfly emerging from its cocoon.

Good luck with the project, and welcome aboard.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

1940s72

Quote from: savemy67 on August 24, 2020, 04:02:38 PM
Hello Rusty,

Great job with the photos - like a butterfly emerging from its cocoon.

Good luck with the project, and welcome aboard.

Christopher Winter

Thanks!
-Rusty

1940s72

The good.  It is all there, from garnish moldings, door panels, interior and exterior trim, etc.  Frame is rock solid.  All the doors open/close, windows go up/down, rears slide back and forth.

The bad.  Front cross member is rotted from midway down.  Floors are rotted.  Headed to Ohio this weekend to pickup a donor cross member.

I've started recording parts sources for sheet metal, etc.  Hoping there is some decent stuff available for this gem!
-Rusty

LaSalle5019

Congratulations on your new find. They are one fine driving machine...super smooth engine, easy to shift, great ride. The forum is an excellent source of information so post questions as needed.
Scott

The Tassie Devil(le)

With the crossmember that bad, I would be hoping that when you pick up the replacement, there is the rest of the frame attached to it. ;)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

James Landi

If you can carve out some time, do provide us with some details about how you found this Cadillac and what you know about its history.   Clearly, someone, many years ago, thought it was worth saving, and information about former owners is always of interest.  As well, is there any evidence about when the car was last on the road? License plates, service stickers, and sometimes paper work in the glove compartment can yield interesting clues. Alas, it's not uncommon for unheated (aka moist) garaged cars to rust from the bottom up. Sounds as if you're a competent mechanic, and this site and club membership have many who have tackled cars in similar condition and eventually, through skill, patience, and effort yielded some spectacular results.  Don't hesitate to start a new thread when you reach a point that challenges you.  Good people are here to listen and to help you, albeit, at a distance.  James

1940s72

Quote from: James Landi on August 25, 2020, 07:02:42 AM
If you can carve out some time, do provide us with some details about how you found this Cadillac and what you know about its history.   Clearly, someone, many years ago, thought it was worth saving, and information about former owners is always of interest.  As well, is there any evidence about when the car was last on the road? License plates, service stickers, and sometimes paper work in the glove compartment can yield interesting clues. Alas, it's not uncommon for unheated (aka moist) garaged cars to rust from the bottom up. Sounds as if you're a competent mechanic, and this site and club membership have many who have tackled cars in similar condition and eventually, through skill, patience, and effort yielded some spectacular results.  Don't hesitate to start a new thread when you reach a point that challenges you.  Good people are here to listen and to help you, albeit, at a distance.  James

Thanks, James!  Yes, I also am very interested in its history.  The previous owner, a Retired Navy gentleman, was super nice and was glad to sell it to someone who is going to bring it back to life.  I'll see what I can find during its tear down.
-Rusty

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Welcome. Some cautions you may with to observe: The dash plastic, no matter how bad it appears, if it's there, don't throw anything away. They are getting hard to find.

The upholstery: Check and see how much, if any might be usable with clear plastic covers on it. You're a long ways away from redoing it, so it might be fun to see if anything might be salvageable.

Get the two volume set of reprinted Master Parts Books from Faxon Auto. (Should be in HMN.) You will be able to tell what parts fit your car and more importantly, what parts do not. 

Treat your grill with care. Impossible to find. One of our members, Paul Ayres in MI replaced his a year or so ago and may have a decent spare. He, as well as other owners of your model car will be helpful in your quest for parts and "how to do it." Our Club Directory has a list of all the owners of cars like yours.

Again, welcome. And be warned. Your wife, should you have one is going to say many, many times..."Why can't you chase women or drink, like other normal guys??? It'd be a heck of a lot cheaper."
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

chrisntam

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on August 26, 2020, 11:44:46 AM
Again, welcome. And be warned. Your wife, should you have one is going to say many, many times..."Why can't you chase women or drink, like other normal guys??? It'd be a heck of a lot cheaper."

The happy ending here will be driving it to one of the Grand Nationals so we can all see it!

8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

chrisntam

You are lucky!  Other than needing a little paint and some chrome heads, that’s a nice ride.

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Chris,
You don't paint rat rods....
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Tom Boehm

Hello Mr. R, Welcome to prewar Cadillac ownership. There is another Mr. R who posted this week about just buying a 1940 series 75 sedan. That is good. We need more interest in prewar cars. It has been waning as of late. You are brave to restore a car with extensive rust. What experience do you have in car restoration? I have a 1940 Lasalle I am restoring that was worse than yours. It is not finished yet but the hard part is complete. There is a lot of experience on this forum with flathead Cadillac engines. There are a few with a lot of general knowledge about late'30s/prewar Cadillacs and Lasalles. I would suggest you join the Cadillac and Lasalle Club so you can gain access to the roster so you can contact other 40-72 owners. The club publishes an authenticity manual for your car which would be a big restoration help. A reproduction shop manual and a repro Cadillac Master Parts Book 1935-1949 would be a very good first step. Basically, the MPB will tell you interchangeability of parts with other Cadillac/Lasalle years and models. When you post on this forum, if you put 40-72 or flathead engine etc, in the title you will get the attention of other viewers who are knowledgeable. We are rooting for you with this car. Just ask for help.