News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

AC repair in NJ.

Started by Jeff Moffo, August 24, 2020, 11:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Moffo

Good morning.
A while back I read there is a gentleman who travels about north Jersey repairing r-12 AC systems. Is anyone familiar with this service or have I gone mad hoping this is true!? ;)
Jeff M
North Jersey
Best of all, it's a Cadillac....
'76 Coupe DeVille - Claret (Sold)
'73 Series 60 Fleetwood (Sold)
'76 Coupe DeVille-Dunbarton Green

Scot Minesinger

Jeff,

No such rumor that I'm aware of.  Looks like you got a 1976 Cadillac.  Probably the VIR has a leak, and those are available rebuilt. 

If you are North of the Mason Dixon line a conversion to R134 will easily suffice.  I ran an R134 system on auto low in a 1976 Cadillac on a sunny 95'F day and it was fine.  However, if you are in AZ, maybe stay with R12. 

You will need to check to see if there is any pressure in your system, if not then the charge may be gone and you may be able to work on your system and repair it without evacuating or recovering, but this is not assured.  The fine for venting r12 to atmosphere is about the same cost as a new car - be careful.

At a minimum the VIR (rebuilt -Old Air Products) and O rings should be replaced properly.  Then pressure test and if OK, charge with R12.  Usually the hoses are OK, but not always and those may need to be replaced (they have to be rebuilt).

Awesome Cadillac!

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Strange you mention that Jeff.  A while back I was thinking of doing something just like that when I retired.  I was thinking of setting up a rig and traveling the country as a combination Vacation/Avocation.  Then I started thinking of all the permits, licensees and registrations that I would need and the $150/.00 per hour of service I would have to charge JUST TO BREAK EVEN.
Then, I actually retired.  I did work on a few cars for people.  I am not egotistical, but I can't work for less than my actual services are worth and it seems some of us Cadillac guys are always looking for the least expensive way to go.  The cars that were brought to me had been worked on (lets say adulterated) by others so there was a lot of extra work and cost.  Then, I started traveling and really enjoying my retirement and decided that my 4 cars were all that I wanted to work on or actually had the time to work on.
All that said, I found this guy on the internet.
https://salvatoreauto.com/air-conditioning-service/
I have no idea whether they are reputable or not, good or poor, but you might try giving them a holler" and see where it gets you.
In the mean time feel free to post the problems you are experiencing with your car and perhaps we can help
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

76eldo

The gentlemen’s name is Michael Cascio and he’s one of the officers of the national club I think. He lives in North Jersey.
He will probably see this post.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jeff Moffo

Thank you. I love that car. Everything works except the AC and it’s been a hot summer, so I haven’t had it out much during the day. I know ZILCH about the AC system, so I’m hoping Brian is right about Mr. Cascio. I do know it worked fine before I bought it in 2013, but it hasn’t since. 😩
Jeff M
North Jersey

76eldo

Jeff,

He knows everything about the AC in your 59.  We did extensive work on a 1960 and prepped the car in my garage here for a RT 66 tour from Chicago to California.

Mike has a full time job, not auto related.  He is very muck into the Cadillac hobby and has a 62 CDV and has tremendous knowledge in electrical troubleshooting and AC work.

You can message me for his phone number.

I have some AC parts for 59/60 that were spares for the Seville that I sold.  If you need stuff let me know.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jeff Moffo

Thanks Brian. Mine is a ‘76.
Is he still knowledgeable about that year?
Jeff M
North Jersey

76eldo

Yes.
I got you confused with a different Jeff.
He’s a 70’s guy too.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv