News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1940 Series 60S speedo installation tricks?

Started by berniemc31626, August 29, 2020, 04:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berniemc31626

The speedometer got wonky on the 1940  60 Special so I removed it and had it fixed.  Re-installing is my problem.  The needle needs to thread past the glass (with the mph numbers) while the rest of the unit attaches to the rear of the dash.  Also, incredible small screws fasten it and top two are very difficult to replace.  Any tips?  Thanks for any help that will get me back on the road.

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Did you remove the instrument cluster with all of the gauges or did you remove the speedo head from the cluster and leave the cluster installed in the dash?

My 1940 LaSalle uses the same speedometer, which needs work. I have been living with the problem because taking the speedo out looks so difficult.

jmscan06

I believe that the Cluster and speedometer in your series 60s are the same in my in my 1940 Lasalle 5227c. I have a cluster and Speedo sitting on my bench. If you want contact me and I can show you or explain how to install.

John Scanlan

berniemc31626

Sorry I have been absent on the forum.  I did take the speedo off of the cluster.  I know and see the alignment pegs and the top peg that acts as a guide but I cannot seem to get the speedo needle to thread between the numbers panel and the glass face.
Also, the needle appears to need to be about 30 to 35 degrees above horizontal but starting the install in that position seems like it would make it even more difficult.  Thanks,