News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Dis-Assemby of Wiper Towers on '37 LaSalle

Started by carlhungness, August 29, 2020, 08:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

Could use some advice on dis-assembling the wiper towers on my '37 LaSalle. The chain looks fairly fragile and would rather hear from someone who's taken them apart before I start hacking.

Tom Beaver

Carl, The wiper shaft is press fit into the top segment to which the chain is attached.  It can be removed two different ways.  If you have a shaft with threads on the end you can get some flat washers that will just fit over the shaft and seat against the casting where the shaft exits the housing.  Stack the washers up until you can just get the nut on the shaft.  Tighten the nut and pull out the shaft.  If you have a shaft with a knurled end then you can hold the end of the shaft in a vise and very lightly tap the housing with a hammer to force it outward away from the restrained shaft.  You need to put something between the hammer and chain housing to protect it from getting dinged up. 

You will note once you get the shaft out it is knurled and has a groove for an oil felt for lubrication.  When originally pressed into the top segment the knurling created a spline fit which was intended to be a one time service.  They used to sell repair kits for the wiper towers that included a new shaft, top segment, chain and oil felt.  I have never seen one.  If you put yours back together, I have a set of instructions which, if I can get scanned into a file, I could send you.  I took the wiper towers for 38 apart and reassembled them again after the castings were replated.  As I recall it was reasonably straight forward and they haven't fallen apart yet.

Tom Beaver

carlhungness

Perfect reply, the advice I was seeking. I have threaded towers and understand now how to stack some washers and pull the stud out. I have not tried to dis-connect the chain so may need some help there too. Will happily accept any printed info you have, my e mail is carlhungness@frontier.com   
      I just put a die on the stud this afternoon to check if it was a 10-32 stud, it is, and then thought, "Maybe I can wiggle the stud out." On second thought I didn't like the idea and it did not occur to me to pull it out with the nut.