News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

What Size Is The Gas Filler Tube on '37 LaSalle

Started by carlhungness, August 31, 2020, 05:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

I failed to measure the diameter of the gas filler tube on the '37 LaSalle today when I had a chance. My guess is 2 1/4" but I need to have the precise dimension if anyone can help. I need the size coming out of the tank.

Joe G 12138

The actual diameter of the genuine (which you don't have?) filler neck is 2 1/2" OD between the tank and the 4" or so extension that goes through the fender for the filler cap. That  +/- 4" extension that the cap goes on is necked down to  go through the fender and fit the cap.

Joe G 12138

Picture is upside down, but the point is it's a weird tapered item.  Joe Gibeault

carlhungness

I should have been more specific: Do I need a 2 1/2" tube coming OUT OF THE GAS TANK? What I'm seeking is the size of the  tube I need to weld into the tank.

Tom Beaver

Carl, the tube coming out of the tank on my car has a 2 1/2" OD.  The original was one piece from the tank to the gas cap.  My tank was a basket case and the fill tube was rusted out in a section near the tank.  I welded a 2 1/2" pipe stub, made out of exhaust pipe, to the tank.  Cut out the rusted section of filler pipe and bridged the gap with a rubber hose so that the original section of filler pipe extended through the fender the proper amount.  Just like most modern cars and trucks.  It was much easier getting everthing lined up that way than trying fabricate a one piece section of steel pipe and weld it to the tank as original.  Works great, can't tell the difference from the outside.

Tom Beaver