News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Question for the folks here

Started by Dgood133, August 24, 2020, 02:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dgood133

Quick update

We are in damage control mode here as  I just lost my dream job

have decided best course is to clear out a space for the Caddy in the garage and slow walk the work to be done on her...
didn't help my Benz decided to throw a tantrum as well...

Murphy is no joke, he works overtime...

last question for a bit does anyone have a recommendation in the Orlando area for someone who can assess this cars value / estimate cost to fix her up?
my friend is a very competent mechanic but he is no Cadillac expert

I really appreciate all your input it definitely helped me make what I hope is the right decision, also now I know theres an active community
if we need to sell her or start restore..

Thanks
D

cadillacmike68

OK, so you have a garage. That allows you to keep it. Really - without one this car would get eaten up by the sun down here.

Get a shop manual (on ebay) it will help you and your mechanic. The basic mechanics of this are are are very similar to a 1959-60 Impala, Bonneville, 98 or Electra. Back then there was no Climate Control, so that's one less worry. Things like cruise control, twilight sentinel, etc - you can worry about those after the basic mechanics are done. Brakes, the drums are very heavy duty and will stop the car. Just remember this is not a 2020 compact with ABS and you will be Ok. You can get a conversion kit, but it will be pricey, so just put that on the back burner as well. It it was a 1961 I have a set of steering knuckles, etc, but 1960 was different than 1961-69.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

chrisntam

Sorry to hear of the job loss, that has to be earth-shattering.  Ugh.

On the car, take your time, work doesn't have to be done now, but proper protection from the elements are very important.  I gather the car runs and drives, do continue that from time to time, making sure there are ample lubricants/coolant in the system. Get a large drip pan so the concrete isn't permanently stained.  Broken down cardboard boxes will work in a pinch under the car. Make sure to use fuel stabilizer as well.

Hopefully being unemployed will be short lived.  Hang in there, do what's important first, the car can wait.  Unfortunately, can't help with someone for the eval on the car.

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

59-in-pieces

David,

Sorry about the job - traumatic.
What was your job - cerebral or manual (broadest sense).

I don't want to go all Dr. Phil, but when I have hit hard patches in my life/career, I found that if I turned my mind off, and started to use my hands to tinker with my car, I could better center myself.
Yes I know, our brains can't be turned off, they are always multi-tasking - and that's good.
So when you focus on the tinker, the brain is working on a solution(s) for our situations.
Generally, there is a reaction of FLIGHT or FIGHT in times of crisis or uncertainty.
I trust you will choose FIGHT, when it comes to the 60 Cad, and just tinker, from time to time.

That philosophy is why in part, I think there is a greater bond between a man and his car if he personally works on it to the limits of his knowledge and ability, and not a man who just buys a car and lets someone else have the bonding experience - extreme example, Pebble Beach and the like - bonding and pride for a job personally done, is exchanged for ego massage and unearned adulation.

Good luck - buddy - questions are free and so are the answers here on the forum.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher