News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1940 Series 75 Sedan - Parts sources

Started by R Rohlfing, August 31, 2020, 10:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Rohlfing

My apologies to those of you that have already read and replied to my "newbie" post last week.  I'm taking another shot with a more relevant title in an effort to collect some additional advice beyond the great stuff already provided to me in that other post.

Quick summary:  I recently brought home a '40 Caddy Series 75 Sedan, original (as far as I can tell) and complete.  The car has not been run since about '07 or '08, so lots of stuff to go through before I put it on the road.  My mechanical skills are solid but I don't have any other cars of this vintage (closest thing I have at the moment is a '41 John Deere B) and my prior experience was with cars from the 60s and newer.  Would appreciate any suggestions or links you have for parts sources (consumable/maintenance items like hoses, gaskets, weatherstripping), tires (wide whitewalls), brake components, plug wires, etc.  Also shop/service manuals, general tips on getting in front of common failures before they happen, etc.  Thanks in advance, really appreciate all of the help thus far.

LaSalle5019

Paper air filter - NAPA 2055
These are some vendors depending on what you need: Kanter, Caddy Daddy,Cadillac Parts Ltd, eBay.
Tires - Diamondback (Auburn Radials) - my preferred. If you just want Bias Ply you can go with BF Goodrich Silvertowns from Coker

Tom Boehm

Shop manuals are reproduced. Surf the net or look in Hemmings in the literature section. The 1940 Cadillac and Lasalle Shop Manual was a supplement to the 1939 issue. Buy both to get the most info.

harvey b

Another place to try is Rockauto,they have a listing for lots of stuff,they have the shopmanuals too.You also should have a Master Parts List as well,it is the most important book you can have,it is great for looking for NOS parts.It is unreal how many different parts that will and wont fit these cars.
harveyb
Harvey Bowness

R Rohlfing

Thanks all, the continued advice is definitely appreciated.  I seem to have misplaced my old Hollander interchange manual, but I don't think it went back to 1940.  Does anyone know if there's an interchange book that goes back to that vintage?

Tom Boehm

Hello Mr. R, Cadillac published a book called Master Parts List. I know the 1935-1949 edition is reproduced. Same sources that sell repro shop manuals. This book will tell you what other Cadillac and Lasalle models and years used a certain part. This book has helpful blowup illustrations in it also. 1938,1939,1940 series 75 and 90 used the same chassis and body. The differences were the front end styling,and dashboard. 75 used the V-8 and 90 had the V-16.