News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Space-saver Spare Tyre question

Started by The Tassie Devil(le), August 31, 2020, 10:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day all,

I was reading down the Window Sticker on a For Sale listing, and noticed that one of the no-cost options was a "Stowaway Spare Tire".

When, if ever, did Cadillac go from calling it such, or is it still called a Stowaway Spare Tire.

Or, was it a different wheel/tyre combination than that of the Space-saver.

I know that later cars have spare that is a lot thinner road wheel.   The Space-saver tyre I am using on my 72 Eldorado came with a full heavy steel road wheel rim, as do the other two that I have.

Thanks,

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Maybe it was a tire brand name issue?   Goodyear called it one thing and Firestone something else?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76Caddy

Its 2 different types of spare tires.  The "stow away" came with the can that you used to inflate the tire when needed.  My Seville has the stow away (and so did my '82 Trans -Am).  The "space saver" is the little tire and rim.  My '80, '85 & '86 rwd's had the space saver.  Alot of people call them "donut" wheels.

Tim
Tim Plummer
CLC #18948
1967 Eldorado
1976 Brougham
1976 Seville
2019 XT5
1969 Chevy c/10 pickup
1971 Chevy Impala

The Tassie Devil(le)

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Phil Weber

I have the original space saver wheel and inflation bottle for my 76 Deville .  I have pumped it up and surprisingly it does still hold air .I wouldn't use what's in the inflator bottle so I keep a 12v compressor in the boot .

I have a 2020 Corolla which has the skinny little spare . The wheel well is the standard depth so it doesn't save any space . Toyota should name it the "cost saver".

I also have a VW which came with a full size spare and mag wheel . This car has Pirelli "runflats " so in theory I should be able to drive it a fair distance on a flat tyre.

One thing I have learned about spare wheels is that , when you buy a used car , make sure it fits . I had a 72 Monaro which came with the exact same mag style wheel as was on the car .
The salesman even used it as a selling point . I would always check the pressure and keep it clean and polished . About six years go buy and I finally need to use it and I find it has a different stud pattern . Ford not Holden.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Phil,

I too use a 12 volt compressor for inflation purposes, but I always inflate the tyre before installing it on the car.

The reason for this is that when I perform the inflation, the tyre distorts itself so much to the inside that it would place a heavy pressure on the sidewall as it presses up against the sides of the rear inner fender (mudguard)

Prey tell, what is the hexagonal "thing" that is near the valve stem?

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Phil Weber on September 02, 2020, 04:08:39 AM
........One thing I have learned about spare wheels is that , when you buy a used car , make sure it fits...... .
I have a similar story when a friend purchased a new car, and had the dealer fit Aluminium wheels with better tyres than factory, including the spare.

He got a puncture one day, and found that the factory-supplied wheel wrench wouldn't fit the wheel nuts, which were supplied with the replacement wheels.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

bcroe

My 79 Eldo came with a standard steel rim spare, but with an
inflatable tire on it.  I told the tire store to put a standard tire
on it, but they could not get the inflatable off.  I took it home
and cut it off myself, took the rim back for a real tire. 

I do not use troublesome tires that cripple the car.  If the public
would complain, we would not have to deal with this nonsense. 
But as usual they follow like sheep, incapable of thinking
WHAT IF.  Bruce Roe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Bruce,
Something wrong with that tire.  The space saver (or at least the one I had) blow up to corm a correctly dimensioned tire. 
Bruce "#2", the space saver tire was developed in response to the Cadillac buying public's calls for more trunk space. 
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

bcroe

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364
Bruce "#2", the space saver tire was developed in response to the Cadillac buying public's calls for more trunk space.  Greg Surfas.

That might be for Cad, where do you document that info?  For all
the rest of my non Eldo cars, the position of the spare is such that
a full sized tire has virtually no effect on trunk space.  I see it as
the industry finding a way to save $5 and 5 lb, at the cost to the
consumer of receiving only 4 usable tires instead of 5, a loss of
something like $150.  And the inconvenience plus safety loss of
having to get it on and off ASAP.  I have stories about that too. 
As usual no public comment.  Bruce Roe

Bruce,
I certainly had a lot more trunk space in my 72 Eldo with a space saver spare.  As far as weight I think the only difference in weight for the one used in the Eldo was the weight of the air in the tire.  They were quite substantial.
As far as cost I bought mine "aftermarket" from the BF Goodrich dealer.  We had a commercial account (we had 40+ trucks on the road at the time) and the cost of the Space Saver was twice the cost of a regular tire plus a regular wheel.  That was in 1972, so who knows what happened later.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

wrench

A spare tire was an option on the 2014 SRX, which the previous owner did not select (I bought it certified pre-owned).

So when I opened the space to check the spare before I bought it, there is just a can of inflater.

Lol

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

winger888

Found the same tire and pressure-can like Phil in my 76 Eldorado. I found it is still taking up to much space; so I took it out.

Bought a little compressor/slime setup and keep that in the trunk instead.

My 2018 XT5 came with the same setup (no spare tire anymore but the compressor/slime setup) so I guessed this is good enough for today's tires. If not I will call AAA  ;)

I did not have a flat tire for the last 30+ years and for me the additional trunk space is worth the risk. Wife is happy too when we go for the longer trips and all the luggage fits in the trunk.
76 Eldorado Bicentennial
79 Lincoln Town Car Collectors Series

bcroe

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on September 02, 2020, 11:32:09 AM
Bruce,
I certainly had a lot more trunk space in my 72 Eldo with a space saver spare.  As far as weight I think the only difference in weight for the one used in the Eldo was the weight of the air in the tire.  They were quite substantial.
As far as cost I bought mine "aftermarket" from the BF Goodrich dealer.  We had a commercial account (we had 40+ trucks on the road at the time) and the cost of the Space Saver was twice the cost of a regular tire plus a regular wheel.  That was in 1972, so who knows what happened later. Greg Surfas

The Eldo may be a special case, certainly is here.  They did not ask me
if I wanted to save space. 

On half my cars I have demonstrated (to the tire dealer, who is not
allowed to touch my car) that I can put all 4 tires AND the spare,
mounted and inflated, into the trunk and latch the lid.  The price of
special order truck stuff has nothing to do with the differential price
of OEM choices of car equipment.  Bruce Roe

Bruce,
The reference to the trucks was an incomplete thought.  Because of the fleet we received a deep discount on all tires and services from BF Goodrich stores.  Yes I did verify that we were in fact getting that discount. The reference was just for a comparison of prices between a space saver and a regular tire/wheel combo.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

bcroe

Greg I do not care whether it costs more or costs less to make a
space saver.  The point is I used to get 5 serviceable wheels with
my new car, and now I get 4 (the car price went up too). Bruce

My comments were in response to the relative costs in 1972
Greg surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: bcroe on September 02, 2020, 09:40:18 AM
My 79 Eldo came with a standard steel rim spare, but with an inflatable tire on it.  I told the tire store to put a standard tire on it, but they could not get the inflatable off. .......
G'day Bruce,

I had virtually no trouble removing the space saver tyre from the steel rim and putting it on the Aluminium rim.   The biggest thing I had to do was to inflate it, and then perform some bead re-setting and then it worked perfectly.

The biggest problem I have had with tyre shops is that they haven't a clue as to how to remove tyres from the Eldorado FWD rims.   These come off from the back, like those of the 1957 Chevrolets.   Even had to demonstrate it to a tyre shop in Connecticut when I had a delamination, as when I returned to pick up the wheels, they hadn't done the job, and said that they couldn't get the tyres off.   It took a while for them to let me use the tyre changer, but I showed them, and had the tyres off and the replacements on in under 5 minutes.   They were flabbergasted.   It was at that time when I realised just why Cadillac made such strong and heavy wheels.   The strain that the wheel was put through as they tried to remove the tyre from the wrong side must have been horrendous.

Bruce.   >:D

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on September 02, 2020, 10:58:38 AMBruce,  Something wrong with that tire.  The space saver (or at least the one I had) blow up to corm a correctly dimensioned tire. 
G'day Greg,

That picture was in mid inflation.

When these tyres are inflated, they first move at the point of least resistance as the air is being applied.   When it is fully inflated, it is just like a normal tyre.

There is a big difference between the two, and those full-size tyres take up a lot of trunk space in the Convertible.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

35-709

I have a space saver spare tire & wheel. I had the tire removed from the wheel so I could have the wheel sandblasted and painted and then put back on the wheel.  When I took it to the tire shop to have the tire removed I was told that it couldn't be done, my reply was that someone put it on and it should come off.  Not busy at the time, one of the guys took that as a challenge and offered to give it a try.  He too tried it from the back and had it off in fairly short order with a false start or two.  Same guy put the tire back on when I brought the rim back.  Tire inflates correctly and appears to be in like new condition --- it has never been on the road. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2