News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

346 Custom Oiling System

Started by 39Flathead, September 03, 2020, 04:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

39Flathead

Hi all,

Would like some input from the experts on building a DIY dry sump or shallow pan for the 346. I don't have enough ground clearance to fit the stock pan so I was thinking of trimming a few inches off the crazy depth of this pan but I'm assuming I would then be hitting the oil pump..

Is it feasible to flow oil in through the oil pressure outlet?

Or in through the front drilled oil header and block the original oil pump drilled passage?

My current leading thought is to remove the oil pump and plug that initial vertical passageway. Cut the oil pan down to 1/2 height. Mount an external oil pump pulling oil from the sump and plumbing it into the drilled horizontal passageway to the driver side of the crank. Looking at the block layout that would push oil into all of the same channels which would all drain back into the pan where it would be pulled back into the pump.

harry s

What are you going to use it in?    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

39Flathead

Quote from: harry s on September 03, 2020, 06:13:13 PM
What are you going to use it in?    Harry

Custom roadster type build.

So the primary question of the moment is whether or not I can cap the pump vertical drilled passage and pressurize the front of the block passage instead, and use the pan to pull from?

I already have the pump system lined up just want to be sure there isn't some obvious flaw in that plan.

The Tassie Devil(le)

You would have to plumb the inlet into the original Pumps' pressure point, so that the oil is flowing in the correct direction, right from the start.

Using the Oil Pressure gauge outlet will send oil to the wrong parts of the motor first, which would also mean that you would need to have two separate oil pressure gauges, one to monitor each direction of flow.   It could be done, but the cost of re-designing and modifying the oil system would be horrendously expensive.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

39Flathead

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on September 03, 2020, 09:20:28 PM
You would have to plumb the inlet into the original Pumps' pressure point, so that the oil is flowing in the correct direction, right from the start.

Using the Oil Pressure gauge outlet will send oil to the wrong parts of the motor first, which would also mean that you would need to have two separate oil pressure gauges, one to monitor each direction of flow.   It could be done, but the cost of re-designing and modifying the oil system would be horrendously expensive.

Bruce. >:D

What about pressurizing the main oil header from the front of the block? That ensures it's all flowing the correct direction as the original inlet just feeds that primary passageway anyways.

fishnjim

Better to take this and run through the "modified cadillac" forum or HAMB.   
I read an article on dry-sumps recently and can't recall the inventors name but there's a company that still builds the units for racing apps.   Usually used to gain HP > clearance.
The LS motors are made to be low clearance and maybe better suited to your needs.
Any competent engine machine shop should be able to advise.
The early flatty hot rods were high boys for a reason.   

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

You are correct regarding feeding the motor through the front if the main is full size all the way.  My only concern and this is just from looking at the oil flow diagram, would be the lifter feed.  In the diagram the lifters are externally fed via the discharge of the oil filter.  The oil filter itself is at the end of the main gallery and the discharge pressure would be significantly lower than that of the main gallery.  By moving the feed to the front you would increase the filter inlet pressure and thus the discharge pressure.  Would this makes a difference?

Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

39Flathead

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on September 04, 2020, 03:03:51 PM
You are correct regarding feeding the motor through the front if the main is full size all the way.  My only concern and this is just from looking at the oil flow diagram, would be the lifter feed.  In the diagram the lifters are externally fed via the discharge of the oil filter.  The oil filter itself is at the end of the main gallery and the discharge pressure would be significantly lower than that of the main gallery.  By moving the feed to the front you would increase the filter inlet pressure and thus the discharge pressure.  Would this makes a difference?

Greg Surfas

Great catch, I didn't notice that. The dry sump oil pump has two outlets so I can output one into the front passage hole and another up to the central fitting for the lifters. I guess we'll find out soon.

Anyone have a rough oil pan that's interested in trading for my good one? Hate to cut open stuff in great condition.