News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Rocker molding add-on

Started by Steve W, September 04, 2020, 01:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve W

I’ve seen a few pics of 68 Coupe deVilles with molding trim on the rockers. Facebook has a couple of groups, and there were a couple of other places where I saw them! So I asked two, and their answers were similar: “they were on the car when I bought it”.
I know they never came from the factory with it, but I think it looks pretty cool.
Where would I find that molding? Is it a Fleetwood thing?
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

Steve W

I may have answered my own question! LOL!
I did a google image search of 68 Fleetwoods, and almost every one of them had the molding! I’m assuming every deVille I saw with the trim meant someone modified Fleetwood trim to fit! How tough would that be?
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

The Tassie Devil(le)

The biggest problem would be finding a good panel beater with the expertise to re-craft the ends that need modifying, and still have these alterations looking good.

If the trim is flat, then it shouldn't be a problem, but if there are convex shapes and other curves, these take more skill.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillacmike68

The lower moldings were standard equipment on the Fleetwood 60 Special and Brougham, which didn't have the mid door side trim of DeVille and Calais models. They are not that easy to find because there were far fewer Fleetwood 60S & Broughams made than DeVilles and Calais.

The only one that needs fitting the the long one. It needs to be shortened by about 3 inches. The others just need attaching - which in itself can be an issue.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike