News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1947 Series 62 conv top issue

Started by VandalRon, September 04, 2020, 08:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VandalRon

I've had my car in storage for a couple years when I was our of the area. Long story short I went to put the top down and it went a part of the way and then returned. Tried it again and same thing. Looked for an obstruction and found nothing.
What part of the top mechanism needs replaced or repaired? Thoughts?

Paul Tesone

Call Hydro - E - Lectric in Florida . Ask them if the “diverter valve” could be the problem . Good Luck , Paul Tesone CLC # 6876

VandalRon

TonyZappone #2624

Is the diverter valve the "brain' thingy under the back seat?
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Paul Tesone

Hi Tony - no , that’s not the part I’m referring to . I’m talking about the oil filled mechanism under the dash that is attached to the push-pull switch used to raise & lower the top . Perhaps I’m not using the correct terminology . Hydro- E - Lectric  referred to it on their invoice as a “bakelight valve” . ..... VandalRon - did you get an answer or find out what the problem is ? Paul Tesone CLC #6876 .

VandalRon

I called Hydro E and they gave me some things to look out for. We found that the reservoir of brake fluid needed to be filled. and we found a leak at one of the cylinders. The top does work (sort of) now but once I get the car transported to my current locale I'll start the process of elimination to solve my problem.

I'm wondering if I can purge the brake fluid and go with hydraulic fluid at some point? (Brake fluid is nasty stuff.)

It may be blasphemy but I plan on converting the hydraulic windows to electric at some point. If anyone has done this, from what car did you pirate this technology?

TonyZappone #2624

You will still need the pump to do the top and seats?  I believe the hoses have to be changed, or the auto trans fluid will eat them

Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

VandalRon

If I convert the windows, I'll probably do the seats as well. Hydro mentioned that I could buy a pump to mount in the rear that would take care of the top and if so I'd replace the hoses at that time.
Again, thanks for your help.

Paul Tesone

VandalRon - check with someone smarter than me about what might happen when brake & hydraulic fluids mix . I question if you can successfully purge all the brake fluid from the lines and convertible top cylinders . I was thinking about doing the same thing to prevent damage to the paint if ever there was a leak . I was advised against switching fluids unless I also installed new cylinders and lines . Again , Hydro-E-Lectric may be best suited to answer this question . Please post what you find out . .... Paul Tesone CLC #6876 .

VandalRon

Yes, I have the same concerns re: changing fluids. In the end, I'd probably change out all the lines, remove and re-build the cylinders, which probably should be done anyway. After all the car is 72 years old.

Quentin Hall

If you are potentially going the route of rebuilding then you have nothing to lose in purging the system of brake fluid and fills with ato or hydraulic oil. I have successfully used both over the years on my various 50s Eldos. There is a possibility of gummed up brake fluid in the components that will only be diluted and broken down with a good flush and run of oil. If your seals are bad then the oil will leak.... but that’s academic and par for the course.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz