News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1931 V16 Exhaust Manifold Connections etc

Started by GHeins, September 09, 2020, 12:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GHeins

Hello Members.

We are restoring a 1931 V16 in New Zealand and because of the prohibitive cost of shipping and importing ( VAT 15 % ) on top of the purchase price for these very heavy items, I had molds, core boxes, etc. made using the worn-out and partly broken pieces from the old system and had the six pieces cast. They do look very good and the dimensions are all fine. Next big part, of course, will be the machining of the surfaces, drilling of holes, etc.

Also, we do not actually know what was used to connect the three pieces of each side with one another and what can be used as a sealant.

Should there be anyone out there with experience in that field I would very much appreciate hearing from him/her. Is there a remote possibility that a copy of the original drawings with measurements, angles, etc can be obtained?

Looking forward to every little piece of information that members might be able to share, and, of course, happy to call the US or wherever the helpful member resides if that makes it easier.

Not sure if this is within the rules of this forum but my email is : gerhard_heins@hotmail.com  if direct contact is preferred.

Kind regards  Gerhard Heins, Christchurch, New Zealand

Chris Cummings

Hi Gerhard,

CLC member Steve Nannini of Tucson, Arizona, has successfully reproduced the exhaust manifolds for 1930-1931 Cadillac V-16 cars.  (He offers complete sets for sale in ads in The Self-Starter.)  I'm sure that he could tell you a great deal about the specifications, dimensions, and construction of the parts. 

In answer to one of your questions, the three sections on each side of the engine were connected by slip joints, with a section of steel tubing anchored in one section and free to slide in the adjacent section, in order to allow for expansion and contraction.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

Chris Cummings

Chris Cummings

Gerhard,

Which car are you working on?  One of the things that I do is try to maintain a roster of the surviving V-16 cars.  My own is a 1930 five-passenger imperial sedan (4330) that I try to drive weekly.

Best regards,

Chris Cummings