News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Adding TTops

Started by CRZNYT, September 09, 2020, 01:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CRZNYT

This may or may not have been covered before.
Has anyone ever added TTops to a 79-85 Eldorado?
Just curious, might be a neat conversion.
Im sure expensive but neat non the less.
Cheers Donnie
1960 Plymouth Fury convertible
1965 Thunderbird convertible
1966 Dodge Charger
1979 Cadillac Eldorado
Don Shearer

TJ Hopland

Wasn't that something that ASC did to some cars like 77-78?   Not sure I have ever seen it on a 79-85.   Seems like it would be quite a project, much more complex than a sunroof because you are kinda messing with structure.   I seem to recall that the window rail section is very heavy and had pretty substantial latches like a door and then there was a boxed in section going down the center of the roof from the windshield to the rear window. 

I'm trying to imagine what that would look like.   How about on a Biarritz with the stainless top?  Do mirror glass so while in place it looked stock?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

CRZNYT

I did see that 7 1978 Eldorado's got the TTop modification.
I think it would look about the same as putting them on a Grand National or Monte Carlo SS with just a longer front end.
I did see one 79 I believe but only in a picture that was done by Chicago Coach works but no other info is around in the mod that I can see.
Just thought it would be a neat looking conversion, I have had several TTop cars over the years and they are fun to drive.
1966 Dodge Charger
1979 Cadillac Eldorado
Don Shearer

TJ Hopland

Any idea what's involved or is that why you are asking?    Were there kits back in the day?  Something you could order from JC Whittney perhaps?  Or was it always a fairly involved process done by a custom coach builder type?   How did they do it?   I presume they bought as many parts as they could from one of the OE's that was making them for production cars then fabbed what they had to?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

CRZNYT

I am asking how it could be done??
They did not make any kits back in the day that I know of, thought maybe ones out of a Monte Carlo SS, or a 442 or something along those lines could be made to work.
1966 Dodge Charger
1979 Cadillac Eldorado
Don Shearer

The Tassie Devil(le)

Anything can be done, just depends on how much you want to spend.

Grafting a  top from another car, no matter what make and model it is, will involve a fair amount of fabrication, modifying, and just plain effort.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

81 BENY Biarritz

Found this somewhere on line not too long ago.  It was an ad for a custom coach builder.  I really liked the overall look, the two tone paint scheme and last but certainly not the least..., so I saved it.  Too bad it was only in black and white.  Must have been a 1980 as that was in the filename that I chose when saving it.  So it has been done before. 
Dave

CRZNYT

That's the one I saw too it was built by Chicago Coach but I think it was a 79.
That article I read I'm pretty sure they also made it a tilt front end.
1966 Dodge Charger
1979 Cadillac Eldorado
Don Shearer

Cadillac Fleetwood

It's kind of like waltzing with a refrigerator.  It can be done, with a great amount of effort, but it CAN be done.  I was around when t-tops were new, and the latest craze.  They were not perfect, even as new.  On the  pre-79 Eldorados and Toronados they leaked badly.  On the 79 and newer cars, there were leaks, creaks, and rattles, not to mention the damage to the paint and roof from careless removal and re-installation.

Chalk it up to old age and/or cynicism, but for my own car I would avoid such a conversion.  I'd go for a sunroof or moonroof, and dispense with the major surgery and challenges which would be presented with a t-top installation.  Just my $0.02.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

fishnjim

Wasn't this on an episode of "pimp my ride"?

CRZNYT

Have to admit a moonroof is nice my 81 Eldorado had that.
Yeah I've had several Firebirds over the past 30 years with Ttops and your right they do have issues.
But it would be cool looking lol
1966 Dodge Charger
1979 Cadillac Eldorado
Don Shearer