News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Front Brake Drum stuck on 1941 Cadillac 63 Series Sedan

Started by J. Russo, September 09, 2020, 11:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Russo

I see a lot of posts related to using a brake drum puller to remove the rear drums but not the front. Can a puller that attaches to the lug nuts like the OTC 7394 be used to remove brake drums on the front wheels? I have a 1941 Cadillac 63 and the front drum won't budge. Thanks
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

Daryl Chesterman

John, I trust that you have backed off the brake adjustment so that the drum will slide over the brake shoes?
If you have, and the drum still will not come off, it is possible that the outer wheel bearing is bound up on the spindle.  Will the drum turn as you are pulling outward on it?  You should be able to tell if the drum is binding on the brake shoes or the outer bearing.  I had this happen while trying to remove a hub/drum from a 1961 Mercury Monterrey, and I had to use a drum puller similar to the OTC 7394.  After getting the hub/drum off of the spindle, I had to use a file and emery cloth to smooth up the bad spots on the spindle so that the inner race would slide on and off easily.

Daryl Chesterman

J. Russo

Thank you for the input. The car has been sitting for 6 years in storage. My neighbor works at the storage facility and said when they parked it 6 years ago there wasn't any issue with the car moving. I checked the bearings and they are fine. The drum doesn't turn at all. I'm going to try the adjustment today before using the puller. I'll report back.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

fishnjim

Are use sure that's not a year that has the integral hub?   
You might have to unbolt the spindle nut and then press off the drum?   
I'm not a pre-warree but was common up through til the '60s.   Even my '58 is like that.
Always use the least force necessary to do the job.   BFH is for big jobs, not cast.
Helps to read instructions, too.  Smart, over macho.

TJ Hopland

If the shoes are just rusted to the drum I would expect some wiggle and wobble.  Even if its not an integrated hub and drum I would loosen the bearing and see if that then gives me a little wiggle. 

Question for those that know this model,  if its not an integral hub and he gets the bearing retaining stuff off should the whole assembly slide off?  OR does the drum have to come off the hub before the hub can be removed?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

harry s

...it will also help work your way around the drum with a hammer especially if you are able to turn the adjuster. To those that ask the drum comes off the spindle separately but not the hub which is part of the drum. The puller should do the job. Good Luck,     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum