News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

59 CDV radiator recommendations

Started by Paul, September 16, 2020, 10:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

Hi- looking to replace radiator on 59 coupe deville non-A/C car. Anyone know of an exact fit replacement ? Where sold? Model #. I see a lot that say they fit but don’t. Any help is appreciated. My current radiator is not a candidate for recoring. Thank you.
59 Caddy, Seminole Red with Dover White top

Michael Petti

Suggestion is Desert Valley Auto Parts. They have many parts cars and can probably sell you one that is from an original car. They may even recore it for you. Before you write your original radiator off, find a shop that specializes in classic car radiators. You might be surprised. I found one called Radiator Werks (not a misspelling) in  Newbury Ohio. 440-564-1366 Does amazing work. Personally  I would rather have the original brass than an aluminum substitute.  Good luck with this.

TJ Hopland

Hard to imagine a radiator that is in an operating car that isn't rebuildable.   Maybe if it was half buried in the ground for many years....    The few shops that are left pretty much only work on classics and industrial equipment and seem to be able to fix just about anything because thats all the work they have left since no one repairs daily drivers anymore. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Paul

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the unit can be repaired- I’m sure I could spend vast sums of money and it would be fine. But I’d like to just get a new one for less than a fortune and move on. Anyone have and suggestions along that path?

TJ Hopland

I don't know 59's specifically but generally in the classic radiator game anything that is going to look, fit, and work like its supposed to is going to be expensive and likely similar to the recore price which is easily $500 these days.   $750 is getting to be more common from what I have seen and you can get to $1000 from a quality source like US Radiator if you are talking a larger sized unit with the premium core.   

IF you are willing to trade look, fit, or function you can save some money.  If you are willing to trade 2 of those 3 you can save even more.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Michael Petti

I had my Non A/C 60 CDV radiator rebuilt last year for about $550.00 including the tank repair and repair of  the fittings. Took 3 try's but works great and looks right and fits great. As long as you are working on the radiator, I suggest you replace the rubber transmission cooler lines too so you don't have to do them later. I had my local NAPA store make replacements that fit perfectly.

59-in-pieces

Paul,

Many good suggestions here.

I personally would never consider buying any replacement parts whose description included language like "FITS" so and so model or make.
Its asking for problems as to fit - finish - function.

Don't know your tolerance to keeping your car as close to OEM - in terms of accuracy and budget.
But if OEM is what you can afford and want - rebuild or find a less damaged replacement and have that one rebuilt.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

The Tassie Devil(le)

Any good Radiator Shop will be able to re-core your own radiator.   All they need is your old one, and they re-use your top and bottom tanks, mounting sides, and replace the actual core.

If they cannot, then they are not a good radiator shop.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

David Greenburg

If you’re concerned about appearance and your tanks are good, consider having a new core installed. I did this on my ‘60 and had a 4 row core installed.  Looks original and runs cooler.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Paul

In my case the upper tank has poorly welded or soldered at some point and it leaks. If I replace the core and replace the top I may as well purchase a new one. Anyone know of a specific brand/model that is a direct drop in. If it’s not an exact match it’s okay.

Michael Petti

Those are brass tanks and a shop can repair them. It's today's plastic tanks that can not be repaired. I'd call several radiator shops. Look for an old school shop who who has experience working on these radiators.

TJ Hopland

Yes the shops that are left should easily be able to repair tanks especially if its something like a seam that just needs to be re sealed.    They can also put new necks and outlets on em. 

Only time I have ever heard of one not being repairable was one that spent many years partially buried in the ground.   3/4 of the tank had corroded paper thin with tiny holes in it and they said that could not be repaired because there wasn't enough material left to do anything with. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

TJ Hopland

I forgot to add that most shops should offer you a choice in core types.   For a 50's car there should be 3 choices and of course the price goes up.   Stock appearance and likely improved performance from what you had because it will be new.   Mid range will be a slightly different look from the 80's I believe which improves performance.   The top choice is a much newer design with much higher performance but it looks different than the original so you have to decide if you want to trade the look for the extra performance and the extra cost on top of it.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Tpicks55

I had my 75 Eldorado radiator replaced by a company called Cool Craft out of california.  It looked exactly like my old unit.
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS

TJ Hopland

Here is a link to US Radiator's site talking about core options.   I'm assuming there are not many places making the core material so most shops will have pretty similar options.   There 4 way split photo gives you an idea what the appearance difference is.  As you can see its mostly density of the fins and the spacing of the tubes.  Me I would always go with the most efficient and fins are fins but some people are really concerned about appearance. 

http://www.usradiator.com/cores

US Radiator isn't any help for a 59 since it looks like the earliest they list for a Cadillac is 61 but still good info on their site.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

59-in-pieces

Paul,
It sound like you not are all that concerned with an OEM look.

But before you buy a replacement, take a good look at the radiator you have and how it is mounted to the core support.  In your case, the car does not have AIR, so the radiator mounting tabs are for the front of the support, not the back, and not with a shroud.
A few fun things to think about.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

TJ Hopland

Was 61 when Cadillac went to the side tanks in the rubber cradle?  Earlier was top bottom and had flanges to mount?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Big Fins

Cool Craft made the replacement for my '59 when I converted it from non-A/C to an A/C car. That was in 2009 at a cost of $600.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille