News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

John Washburn

Started by Brent Hladky #21519, August 22, 2020, 08:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

Quote from: 76eldo on August 23, 2020, 08:41:39 AM
Very sad news.
I never met the man but always enjoyed his writings.
Condolences to the family and his friends.

Brian

+1 and well said.

:(
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scot Minesinger

Very sad news, always enjoyed reading his articles in Self Starter.  My favorite was his "Wall of Shame", where he had a crushed metal fuel line form a 61 Caddy.  The metal line had been crushed by a rough engine removal and replacement (not by him) and of course the 61 Caddy ran poorly until he discovered the problem. 

His "shame" (his words, totally undeserved), was that he should have found the problem sooner than he did. 

This helped me greatly just this year when a poorly running 69 Caddy was diagnosed as a kinked fuel line (also blocked exhaust) when someone obviously though the fuel filter was at the carb instead of the pump and did not understand that a compression fitting requires two wrenches.

His way of writing got you to remember wise advise many years later. 

Again, such a great guy with a wealth of very valuable knowledge, and he knew how to write very well!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

bcroe

Quote from: Caddieman53Very sad news. I learned a lot from his comments and self starter articles. Condolences to his family. RIP John. 

I feel the same.  Never met him, but enjoyed the articles and did
exchange some other info.  I always felt his efforts made sure, there
was always some technical stuff in the magazine.  Now I guess the
pressure is on the rest of us to try and generate a few more detailed
technical articles.  Bruce Roe

Caddy Wizard

I echo many of the sentiments here, especially those of Jay Friedman.  John Washburn was a tremendous font of Cadillac knowledge.  But more than that, John was incredibly generous with his time, knowledge and resources.  I wish I were more like John.

I got to know The Johnny via email, phone calls, and a bit in person.  I am glad I did.  He will be sorely missed.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

fishnjim

I enjoyed his glass of wine or whatever approach.
Just illustrates the hobby's irreplaceable drain of knowledge.
No one will have had his opportunities in the future.   At least,
he left a paper trail.   CLC must preserve the knowledge or else.

Bob Schuman

The Johnny's passing leaves a big void in the Washburn family and in our CLC"family" that is irreplaceable. He was a truly nice person who helped me on several occasions with hard to find parts at very reasonable prices. plus the wealth of knowledge he imparted through Washburn's Wisdom articles. We corresponded by phone and email, but never met. A few years ago John and Bill Woodman were to visit with us in St. Louis en route to an eastern car meet, but that trip did not happen, partly because of John's health issues. My condolences to John's family.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

chrisntam

I hope the powers that be ponder a way to honor John for his contribution to the Self Starter, perhaps the "help" column should be named in some fashion, for him.

How long did he write for the self starter?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Art Director

Hi Chris, John began writing for us in 2011.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

John's passing is another reminder to us all that the curtain of the era of real mechanics is coming down/.  John was one of those, like my friend Bob Fefrain who passed a year ago who had such an intimate knowledge he would know, before he even saw the car, exactly which tools would be required and any pitfalls he would encounter.  There was no "Joe says it works this way" or attention paid to urban myths and legends. HE KNEW.
Miss you John.  Be sure and say Hi to Bob and we'll see you before we know it.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

jdemerson

MANY fitting tributes to John Washburn. I'll add one more.

Although I never met John face-to-face, I had several conversations with him over the years. He was especially knowledgable about postwar Cadillacs with the 331 OHV engine and either Carter or Rochester carburetor. He assisted me in ways that perhaps no-one else could have, including with especially hard-to-fine parts for my '52. It has a choke coil and cover that came from John.

John's service to the Cadillac community will always be an important part of his legacyl I add my condolences to his family.

John Emerson
Middlebury, VT
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Scott Halver

I am very sad to hear that John Washburn has passed away.   I feel fortunate to have read some of his tech articles and to have been able to ask John a question or two via e-mail.   I hope he is now cruising in a pristine Cadillac or LaSalle of his choice.   My condolences to his family.   Scott & Allyson Halver  CLC #24920
1960 Eldorado Seville, Grandfather Bought New
1970 Corvette Convertible 350/350

CadillacFanBob

Now John has all the special tools he ever wanted, a GREAT man and friend will be missed.

RIP John

Bob Smukula
CLC # 13717
Frankfort, Illinois

Vince Taliano #13852

Read how John's article in the June 2020 issue of The Self-Starter helped a Potomac Region member with his 1947 Cadillac at http://www.clcpotomacregion.org/forms/CLCPR.2009Newsletter.pdf, pages 8-9. RIP, John!
Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 3,000 pictures!)

wrench

I did not know the man, but read his features in the Self Starter.

He was eloquent. One thing I do know, is how hard it is to be a mechanic and speak and write about it without using the actual words employed when challenges arise during the course of the work.

He put forth a positive image of the mechanic in their natural environment.

In my opinion, that was one of his great achievements.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

James Landi

Thanks Jim "Wrench" for expanding on John's writing talent.  Creating engaging monthly narratives about arcane technical details focusing on cars that are decades old is most certainly an extraordinary talent.  And he peppered his articles with wonderful insights into his uniquely self effacing  good humor and his  trial and error  persistence.   James

Lexi

Yes I agree James. Jim put it quite well. Seems Jim has a similar writing gift as well as yourself. Nice to see these tributes to a great guy.  Clay/Lexi

veesixteen

My sincere condolences to an auto enthusiast  man who cared for and wrote about our old Cadillacs as much as I do.
See you up there !  RIP!
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

B. Como

John was an inspiration to many of us.  He was always helping someone and providing much need technical advice.  A wealth of knowledge that will be missed by many.  Given we both had 53 and 56’s I relied on him often and enjoyed his stories and fondness for red wine and chocolate covered pecans, the latter I would often provide.  Our hobby is losing too many of the good guys!  John may you rest in peace and you will always be remembered.  Prayers for Martha and his family!

Sincerely,

Brady Como
53 Eldo
56 CDV
B. Como # 21042

53 eldo
56 cdv

HerbP

Quote from: chrisntam on August 25, 2020, 01:51:55 PM
I hope the powers that be ponder a way to honor John for his contribution to the Self Starter, perhaps the "help" column should be named in some fashion, for him.

How long did he write for the self starter?

Winning idea!
1940 LaSalle 5019
This stuff is FUN!
:)