News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

rechrome project

Started by Jim Dunne, September 16, 2020, 04:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Dunne

I have a '55 Eldorado Convertible. The exhaust tips on the rear bumper are peeling, and need to be re chromed. I am looking for suggestions on who can do it and not overcharge? I found a place called Goodmark Industries? Has anyone ever used these folks?
Thanks for your suggestions. Jim Dunne  (Illinois, Chicago area)
Jim Dunne
Jim@teamstoreonline.com

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Be careful that you pick the right chrome shop
to use for those.  The bumper ends on that car
are not steel but an aluminum alloy.

Many "chrome shops" cannot handle aluminum
and do a proper job.  So, ask questions about
their experience with it.  Aluminum not properly
replated will start to bubble and peel in a year
or less.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Clewisiii

"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Jim Dunne

Thanks, Mike , for the info. Very important, i will certainly ask.
Jim
Jim Dunne
Jim@teamstoreonline.com

79 Eldorado

I would highly recommend checking out Advanced Custom Chrome in Erie PA. They have a before and after restored bumper with exhaust pass through in their photo gallery which you can see from their home page. They do some amazing stuff. They're not cheap but they aren't over charging either if that makes sense.
https://advancedcustomchrome.com/

It's been a while since I spoke to the owner but as I recall he mentioned they even created a mirror image of a part which was missing either the left or right side. Some of the parts they've saved made me think, if I didn't already, don't throw anything away which you believe cannot be replaced.

Scott

79 Eldorado

I found the description of the exhaust-through-bumper part they did at Advanced Custom Chrome in Erie PA and it was for a 1955 Cadillac. See the capture from their site of the before and after.

Scott