News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Paint codes and vin numbers

Started by Cadman-iac, September 16, 2020, 04:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadman-iac

I had noticed the numbers on the inside of the front fenders on several vehicles in the past but had not really given them much thought.
Today I was walking past one of the front fenders from my '55 parts car and saw them again,  and it dawned on me that they might be important,  at least at one point in time anyway.
So I checked the numbers against the vin number and the data tag on the car and sure enough,  they match.
Then I decided to look at the '63 parts car and again,  matching numbers.
But my '56 doesn't have anything on them anywhere. The paint is still all original on it, it's never been painted.

Did the factory identify each set, or front end assemblies, or just ones with more common colors,  so as to tell which car they went to?

Here's the pics of both the 55 and the 63. The 55 is a light blue,  the 63 is white.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Roger Zimmermann

As the front clip was not painted in the same factory as the rest of the body, it was a method to identify which fenders/hood is coming on which car.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on September 17, 2020, 03:06:51 AM
As the front clip was not painted in the same factory as the rest of the body, it was a method to identify which fenders/hood is coming on which car.

Thanks Roger,  I was unaware that they didn't paint it all in the same place. That makes sense then, but it doesn't explain why the front end on my 56 isn't numbered. I've looked it  over thoroughly and there's no numbers anywhere.
If they were numbered,  wouldn't it be in the same location as the 55 and the 63? Both of those have the numbers right behind the wheel well, on both the right and left sides.
  Did they put them in a different location for 56? Or is it as I suspected,  the more popular colors,  because of the volume,  were numbered, and the less common ones, because they came up less frequently, it was not necessary to number them? Just a guess here.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Roger Zimmermann

1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

fishnjim

Somewhere, from the '58 club, I have sequential photos from the '58s on the assembly line being painted - whole.   I'll have to search, 10+ years of photos on this machine and post.

Lots of mystique about markings.   We used to wipe them off when we detailed, but once the NCRS, PHS, etc. took off "authenticating" they started to document those "silly" details.   Frankly, I'd don't think it makes sense to blast all the sheet metal, paint it apart, and then add "phony" chalk marks.
This is pre-barcode production, so they did things with paper and pencils...   I doubt there's any consistency between shifts on how they operated.
I guess the best place to question this, is for the concours judges.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: fishnjim on September 17, 2020, 09:04:40 AM
We used to wipe them off when we detailed, but once the NCRS, PHS, etc. took off "authenticating" they started to document those "silly" details.

Silly?  ???
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Jason Edge

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on September 17, 2020, 11:23:57 AM
Silly?  ???
I think the implication is they were once considered silly, but not so much today, by at least some, in their effort to duplicate and/or preserve exact originality.  Restoration, and in fact preservation, seemed to be "simpler" back in the day with the emphasis on just making things look new and shiny.  I also see people today going to painstaking lengths to do things to restore what we considered blemishes (e.g. paint runs under the hood, firewall inner fenders) that we thought needed to be "corrected" in the past.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic