News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Aluminium Bumper Bars

Started by The Tassie Devil(le), September 16, 2020, 08:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day all,

The posting about chroming an Aluminium Bumper Bar reminded me of a question that I have always wanted to ask.

Why did Cadillac chose to make Cadillac Bumper Bars out of Aluminium in the '50's?

It could not be for difficulty in manufacture, as they already had really curvaceous and lovely bars in the 1957 Chevrolets, which really protect the cars when bumping into things.

Could it have been for economies of scale in that it was cheaper to build molds for casting as against steel molds in pressing?

Enquiring minds would like to know.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cadman-iac

I didn't know they used aluminum for bumpers that far back.  Which years and models did they do it to?

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

V63

1955-6 Eldorado had aluminum rear bumper ends and in 1957-8 Eldorado Brougham’s had complete aluminum bumpers, front and rear. Also all the brougham door panels. 1955 aluminum Sabre wheels. 1956-1972 aluminum front  grills. 1956-58 gold anodized grills were offered. 1956 gold wheels offered.

My vote goes to the close relationship GM had with Reynolds ALCOA aluminum?  It was disastrous because chrome over aluminum was problematic as was painting (the paint peeled off) the door panels. The door panels went to upholstered soon after production. 1976 (maybe 1975 too?) Eldorado had aluminum body wiring...I believe a copper shortage necessitated? 1978? Some aluminum hoods were offered for weight reduction, lighter springs were also fitted. Had a 78 fleetwood (calif model) and the aluminum hood would ‘float’ at higher speeds🙄🤦‍♂️.

Roger Zimmermann

It was most probably a cost reason. Why do a steel tooling for less than 1000 cars (Brougham) when a more economical mold can do it for bumpers? Those bumpers are heavy, because they are thick. Therefore, it was not for a weight reason.
The aluminum door panels for the Brougham were used only on a few cars, less than 100. Frankly, I don't like them, the feeling is really "cheap".
Aluminum hoods were used in the eighties already (my '80 Olds Cutlass had one) on Trans Sport models and on DTS models. I remember we had a lot of issues with the Trans Sport models due to corrosion at the hoods. The hood from my 2000 DTS began also to have some corrosion at the time I sold it.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101