News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Trans Shifting Sluggish When Cold 56 Series 62

Started by hawkfan, September 18, 2020, 11:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkfan

I recently changed the trans pan gasket and when I replenished the oil with new oil the trans shifts sluggishly when cold but when it warms up it shifts just find.  It wasn't like that before I replaced the trans pan gasket.  Any suggestions?  Maybe not enough trans fluid?  Maybe I should just expect this after I changed the fluid?  The car has 106,000 miles on it.

Thanks
Hawkfan

TJ Hopland

When was the last time anything fluid related was done to this trans?   Do you know what kind of fluid was in it?   What kind did you put in this time?   I assume it has been leaking so you have been adding some for a while now?  How much was it leaking?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

hawkfan

Yes the trans gasket was leaking leaving a good size stain on the floor and dripping as I would drive.  I used DEXIII/MerconCQ420 for the new trans fluid.  I dont know when any trans work was performed on it as I only had it for 2 years. 

Thanks

cadman56

Two things:
  Find a tractor supply store and ask for the type of trans fluid the shop manual calls for, it is available  through those sources
  At the mileage you mention, changes are your seals are hard and leaking. 
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

hawkfan