News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

66 Fleetwood - horn windows and seats all inop at once

Started by scotth3886, September 19, 2020, 04:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotth3886

Very strange. No electrical issues until about an hour ago. At cars and coffee. Everything worked fine.  We decided to have lunch at a restaurant on the lot. We all moved our cars over near the restaurant. I put all my windows up and locked the car. One of the guys was asking me if my car had the stereotype train horns cadillacs are known for.  I opened the hood and was showing him that I only have three horns, but should have a 4th. He asked to hear so I opened the door to give him a lil toot and the horn was dead. I thought that strange as I never had any issues before so I started trying everything else. Found the windows and seats also didn't work. No previous issues.

Given that the windows are a fuse (I believe) and the horn is a relay and seats I don't know what they are.  So very strange all of this goes south at once.  Gotta be a reason.

Thought I would asked to see if anyone knows or has any idea before I start tearing into things.

scotth3886

Cadillac Fleetwood

The power windows, power seat, and horn are controlled by a 40-amp circuit breaker in the fuse panel. The fuse panel may read "Horn, 25 AMP" but when power windows and/or power seat were specified, the 25 amp fuse was replaced with a 40-amp circuit breaker.  The power windows and seat are also controlled by a relay behind the LH kick panel.
-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

scotth3886

Quote from: Cadillac Fleetwood on September 19, 2020, 05:43:12 PM
The power windows, power seat, and horn are controlled by a 40-amp circuit breaker in the fuse panel. The fuse panel may read "Horn, 25 AMP" but when power windows and/or power seat were specified, the 25 amp fuse was replaced with a 40-amp circuit breaker.  The power windows and seat are also controlled by a relay behind the LH kick panel.
-Charles Fares

THANK YOU.  Glad I asked first.  I ordered that 40 amp breaker a couple of months ago so I'd have a spare, just in case.

scotth3886

Quote from: Cadillac Fleetwood on September 19, 2020, 05:43:12 PM
-Charles Fares

The prior owner or the dealer substituted a 20 amp fuse for the 40 amp breaker, which wasn't there period. 

Glad I ordered one just in case it was ever needed!!

Again, THANKS for your help.