News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1978 Eldorado Barritz Rear Brake Calipers and pads needed.

Started by dennisspeaks, September 20, 2020, 02:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennisspeaks

I am looking to replace the 4 calipers on my 78 Barritz.  My mechanic is looking on the Napa catalog and it is not showing any brake pads and is only finding one left side caliper for the rear in town.  There are plenty of fronts left and right side.  The Napa catalog is showing front and rear rotors the same.  Can someone chime in here. 

Do some of the Eldorados have drums in the rear, that is what Autozone shows in their catalog.

Any leads for a decent price for the rear calipers appreciated.  Napa is asking $90 plus shipping.

Thanks.

Dennis
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1976 Eldorado convertible
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado
1978 Biarritz
1978 Biarritz
1974 Eldorado - RIP
1976 Eldorado Vert
1975 Sedan d'Elegance
1990 Sedan Deville -gave to son
1988 Fleetwood Brougham - gave to daughter
1968 GTO
1965 Olds 442
1975 Caprice Classic Sold

Big Fins

Your mechanic needs to expand on his search. I got all 4 calipers from RockAuto along with the pads. That's not to say they always have them though.

Rotors are the same front and rear.

You can also use front calipers on the rear if you don't want to ever have a parking brake.

Never heard of a 78 with drums anywhere.

When you can find the rears, get them. Too many are not being rebuilt and before you turn in the old calipers as cores, make sure the new rebuilds come with the E-brake arm.

Why can't your mechanic just rebuild the calipers that are on the car? If they are originals, he should. I made the mistake of turning in my Delco-Moraine cores when I should have rebuilt them for future use or sale.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

dennisspeaks

Thanks Big Fins,

I just spoke with him yesterday about doing the brakes and he called me back shortly after checking around town.    He specialized in imports but has worked on our SRX and other cars.  He was telling me about the ebrake, thanks for the recommendation to Rock Auto, they do have the rears in stock. 

I was calling around myself checking for pricing and availability, first place couldn't get any and Autozone was the 2nd, i didn't think that sounded right when they said drums so I went and looked to verify I had calipers.

Now I understand why there is such a big difference in price for the rears.  I will mention rebuilding old ones to him.  I appreciate your input.  Normally this is something I would do myself but just had surgery and I don't want to wait.  Have a great day!
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado
1978 Biarritz
1978 Biarritz
1974 Eldorado - RIP
1976 Eldorado Vert
1975 Sedan d'Elegance
1968 GTO
1965 Olds 442

Big Fins

Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

TJ Hopland

Rear disc became standard on the Eldo in 76 and I believe remained standard till the end of the line.

The parking brake mechanism involves several parts that are living in a pretty nasty environment surrounded by brake fluid.  Its basically a ratcheting screw mechanism that threads into the piston.  To release them you have to screw the piston down the screw which can be easier said than done on a car that has been sitting or exposed to salt.   

They can get pretty corroded and stuck from the parking brake not being used and will pretty much jam up solid if the whole car just sits for extended periods of time.  They can be so stuck that they can completely lock the rear up and make it incredibly difficult to get the caliper off the rotor.   

I would be amazed if you found a shop that was willing to spend the time it would take to try and rebuild these.  I also would not want to think about how long it would take and what it would cost you if you were paying hourly. 

For some reason historically speaking the rebuilds never came with the brackets for the cable.   These calipers have always been used for rear conversions so for a while the brackets were worth more than the calipers.   In the last 10-20 years someone started making new calipers and the brackets so they should not be difficult to find.   Same deal with the 79-85 ones except those always came with the brackets.   

Both styles are very commonly used on conversion for all makes of cars so maybe searching places that sell conversion parts will be better than regular parts searches.   Eldo or Eldorado rear caliper is the best search even though they were used on other models and GM cars,  its just the Eldo was apparently the most common. 

If you are in a hurry and choose not to care about the E brake I believe front calipers will bolt on and work just fine.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

dennisspeaks

Thanks for your time and insight TJ.  Rockauto has them and I am just going to go that route.  The mechanic  mentioned that problem about the ebrake but you went into more detail and you described exactly what happened.  I was driving and then there was no power so I pulled over and the brakes were smoking.  I had my wife pick me up and went back later and I was able to drive it home.  I do want to restore to their factory condition so it's worth the wait.  I am going to have him check out the leveling system while it's in his shop.

According to the previous owner (lucky devil) he received this and a collection of almost a 100 cars from his grandfather when he passed.  The car had been sitting since 1983 along with 3 convertibles with this body style. 

The smoke from the fires has finally cleared and there are a few more car shows that I want to get in on weather permitting. 
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado
1978 Biarritz
1978 Biarritz
1974 Eldorado - RIP
1976 Eldorado Vert
1975 Sedan d'Elegance
1968 GTO
1965 Olds 442

TJ Hopland

78 I think was the change year from vacuum power compressor to electric.   IF its electric the most common failure point other than the shocks themselves is the level sensor control module.    Its all one unit at the rear.   Don't think aftermarket ever made them and never heard of anyone repairing them.   If the rest works its not hard to rig up a couple buttons or toggle switch to manually operate the compressor or the dump valve.     If its vacuum then problem is almost always age of the soft parts inside the compressor and sometimes the tanks rusting out.    Just like the later level control module doesn't seem like aftermarket ever made em or repair kits for them so finding parts in good shape at this age can be quite a challenge. 

Shocks are still available but I suspect we may be dealing with old stock so its not uncommon for them to have a fairly short life.   Inspect them carefully for signs of age or oil leaks before you waste time installing them.    Manual fill is always an option and many of us are able to find a pressure that works most of the time. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Big Fins

I think you have the wrong thread TJ. Copy it and paste it where you wanted it. I don't see ALC or ELC mentioned anywhere in this thread.

Dennis...if the brakes were seriously smoking, then get new rotors on there too. Otherwise the chatter from the warpage will make your pedal pulsate and cause a very jerky stop.

I use the E-brake everytime I park the car. This also keeps the rears in proper adjustment. So, check the cable(s) and be sure they are free to move with no resistance. The FSM will give you the specs and how-to instructions.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

TJ Hopland

Quote from: dennisspeaks on September 20, 2020, 02:41:11 PMI do want to restore to their factory condition so it's worth the wait.  I am going to have him check out the leveling system while it's in his shop.

It would not be the first time I replied to the wrong person or thread today and more proof I'm loosing my mind but when I was about to admit it I found where he said it.    Now if I can just find a reason or good excuse for the rest of the things I have screwed up so far today.......
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

dennisspeaks

Thanks for the tip on using the Ebrakes.  Yes I am changing rotors, brake pads and rotors out, don't want to have to mess with it for awhile
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado
1978 Biarritz
1978 Biarritz
1974 Eldorado - RIP
1976 Eldorado Vert
1975 Sedan d'Elegance
1968 GTO
1965 Olds 442

Big Fins

Quote from: TJ Hopland on September 20, 2020, 05:07:34 PM
It would not be the first time I replied to the wrong person or thread today and more proof I'm loosing my mind but when I was about to admit it I found where he said it.    Now if I can just find a reason or good excuse for the rest of the things I have screwed up so far today.......

LMAO.  ;D **it happens.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille