News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

4 way flasher system?

Started by hawkfan, September 20, 2020, 08:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkfan

Has anyone installed an emergency flasher system in their Caddy?  I have a 56 Series 62 that I'd like to install one just in case.  If any one has and could share the plans it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hawkfan

Cadman-iac

I put one in my car,  but it was an aftermarket kit from years ago that I've been holding on to for years. I can take a picture of the unit when I get back home.  At the in-laws right now.
Not sure if you can still get such a thing anymore. Everything made these days already has a system in it. I think the one that I have is an old GM accessory part. I'd have to see if I still have the box it came in to know for sure.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

hawkfan

Thanks Cadman-iac!  Much appreciated!

J. Gomez

Brian,

I put one on my car a Flarestat type which has a two prone thermostatic flasher built in.

There are 4-wires from it for each of the front and rear lamps these can be wire at the turn signal switch (4 wires for each lamp side) or two can be tight together if there are only two wires going to each left and right for front and rear.

One small modification I had to make was to add 4-diodes to each of these wires from the Flarestat to avoid a voltage feedback from the car turn signal flasher to erratically operate the other side, do to how Cadillac made the turn signal connections on the front and dash panel.

I thought I had a wiring layout on how these were done but I think it is gone with my failed H/D a few years back.

I may need to get a quick pick at the wiring on the car and get one redone, it maybe a few days before I can tackle it.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

chrisntam

Found one on eBay.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

walt chomosh #23510

After my wife and I nearly lost our lives on a dark highway (hwy66) I bought a period correct flasher on Ebay. Safety first!.....walt..tulsa,ok

hawkfan

I'm trying to determine if the flasher kit posted by chrisntam will work on my Caddy.  The poster said the package was exposed to water at one time but was the actual device exposed to it.  Thanks Chrisntam for finding and posting the ebay post!!!!

Walt,
The reason I am going to install flashers is I too broke down yesterday but fortunately I was able to make if off the road into a business parking lot before the car came to a dead stop.  Come to find out my fuel gauge is off by a quarter of a tank so I inadvertently ran out of gas.  All I could think of was what if I was on a road with a high speed limit and I couldn't exit and the car crapped out.  All things considered, I was blessed yesterday!!!

Cadman-iac

Brian,

Sorry for the delay, been busy trying to set up my M-I-L downstairs with hospice services. 
  I got some pictures of the unit I am installing in my 56, it is an aftermarket part,  I got it mixed up with the emergency brake warning light I also have.  It's a GM accessory part.
I have 2 of these 4 way units, so I took pictures of both to show you what to look for.
The first one is a "Roberk model 800", if that means anything.  The second one is a "Flarestat model 105" by Signalstat.
The unit I'm using is the first one, it's got a 3 prong flasher on it.  However the second one has a 2 prong flasher in it.
Either style will work for you,  and they are very simple to install.  Each one has a power wire, and 4 wires that go to each lamp on the car. You tie into your turn signal wiring. The units are made so that you don't get any feedback from the turn signals when it's off. None of the 4 wires are actually connected to each other until the switch is activated, then they all flash in unison.

Rick

The first 3 pictures are the one I'm using on my car,  the Robert 800 unit.
The rest are of the signalstat unit. I think the second one is more common than the one I used. You should be able to find one fairly easy.
Best of luck to you, and I'm glad you didn't have any trouble the other night getting off the road.
CLC# 32373

hawkfan

Thank you, Rick for your efforts and taking the time to take the pictures and gather the info.  This gives me several directions to go now.
I feel for you regarding the hospice situation you are currently involved with.  I went through that situation 2 years ago.  Very heart breaking!

Thanks again to all the feed back!!!

Brian
Tinley Park, ILL.

Cadman-iac

Thanks Brian,
I hope it helps some. I honestly don't know how hard it would be to find one of those flasher units. I've had mine for 25 or more years, just keeping them in case I ever had need of one.
The unit I'm using for the 56 Cadillac I had actually had installed in another vehicle,  but before I put it up for sale, ( the other vehicle that is), I removed it, (the flasher unit that is), not wanting to let it go.
I think, but not sure, I think I had found both of them at swap meets. You remember those, right? That's where people who have stuff to sell get it all rounded up and people who want to buy things come by and pick out what they want and give you money for it. It's a  sort of old fashioned idea,  but it used to work quite well.
I miss those days!

Rick
CLC# 32373

hawkfan

Rick,

Yes I recall and enjoy the local flea markets!  There are a couple of flea markets out my way. I used to restore vintage cars on the side and would hit the flea markets looking for car parts and trim.  Mostly I came across GM items.  I would mostly buy unusual tools.  It was really hit or miss.  I havent been to one since the virus hit.  Maybe next summer.

Thanks
Brian

Cadman-iac

Hey Brian,
Yeah, the old swap meets were sort of hit or miss,  but it was still a lot of fun. I miss getting to talk to the people who were looking for some obscure part or whatever it was. Sometimes I hardly sold a thing,  and sometimes I sold out in a day. And there was always the guys who knew you were looking to unload at the end of the meet and were looking for a deal. If it was a good meet, no deals usually,  but if it didn't happen to go well,  then I would try to make the gas money to get back home.
I remember one meet I got a complete front bumper with the grille for my 56 for $100.00. Then I found a dash top with the Autronic Eye still mounted to it for $20.00, I almost broke my wrist getting my wallet out!
Before I had a 56 Cadillac,  I had gotten a dual quad intake manifold and both carbs, and it was at one of these swap meets that I hadn't done much,  and I ended up selling it for $75.00. Really didn't want to let it go that cheap, but it was one of those days that I needed gas money.  Oh well, live and learn.
Maybe next year we will be able to go to one again. They are a lot of work,  but a lot of fun too.
Have a good evening,  and stay safe.

Rick
CLC# 32373

hawkfan

Rick,

A bumper & grill for $100?????  A dash with the eye for $20?????  Both are killer deals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian

Cadman-iac

Quote from: hawkfan on September 23, 2020, 05:34:36 PM
Rick,

A bumper & grill for $100?????  A dash with the eye for $20?????  Both are killer deals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian
I know! I couldn't believe it was so cheap either,  and I asked him again just to be sure. But that's the God's honest truth. This was back in the early 90's,  I guess before the mid 50's Cadillacs were so popular,  or the guy just didn't know what he had, I don't know.  But either way,  I made out on the deal, and I tried not to complain too much about the price. Lol!!!
I've been collecting pieces for it since I got it, and now I have 4 complete front bumpers,  and a couple more bumper pieces, 2 complete grilles and a lot of pieces, and the prices were all very reasonable at the time.
That's what makes going to the swap meets fun. Finding that piece you've been looking for forever, and getting it at a great price. Not everything is a deal,  but hey, if you need it, you need it.
Unfortunately I don't think things will ever be like that again. With the internet and smart phones, everybody is an expert and you won't find a deal like that now. Too bad too. It was a lot of fun. Now you just pick up the phone or turn on the computer and find it. Not that that's a bad thing.  I found more that way than at the meets, but it's not as fun. You know the thrill of the chase,  so to speak.
Younger people reading this are picturing some old geezer with a cane going " Sonny, in my day, we did this", or whatever.....     And in my case,  that's true!
Well here's hoping we get to see another good swap meet in the near future, so we can find those great deals.

Rick
CLC# 32373

hawkfan

I hear you on the "Younger Crowd".  I rebuilt a 72 Chevelle from bushel baskets and machined a 454 and built it up to 548 hp.  As the years went by I all ever saw were people pulling out the big blocks and installing drop in LS crate motors.  It seemed like the younger guys didnt want to take the time and effort to break down a carbureted motor and build it back up to a power house.  I used to tell the younger guys: "Anyone can write a check for one but it takes someone special to make one"!  Oh well, I'm just an old coot I guess.

Cadman-iac

Quote from: hawkfan on September 23, 2020, 06:46:18 PMAs the years went by I all ever saw were people pulling out the big blocks and installing drop in LS crate motors.  It seemed like the younger guys didnt want to take the time and effort to break down a carbureted motor and build it back up to a power house.  I used to tell the younger guys: "Anyone can write a check for one but it takes someone special to make one"!  Oh well, I'm just an old coot I guess.

I like that. And it's true too.
CLC# 32373

D.Yaros

Quote from: hawkfan on September 21, 2020, 06:37:02 PM
Thank you, Rick for your efforts and taking the time to take the pictures and gather the info.  This gives me several directions to go now.

Thanks again to all the feed back!!!

Brian
Tinley Park, ILL.

I just happen to have a 4-way flasher system I can sell you.  I can/will take pics if interested.  It looks like the first one of the two pictured by Cadman-iac in an earlier reply.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

hawkfan

Dave,

Thanks for the offer and may take you up on it however.  I purchased the one Chris mentioned in the earlier post but the USPS apparently lost the package and they're trying to track it down.  I'll give it to the weekend before I request a refund.  If they dont find it I'll purchase yours.  I would rather buy from a forum member anyway.  I'll let you know.

Thanks
Brian

CORVAIRWILD

I broke down yesterday, and was thinking of the 4way flasher that of course my just purchased '57 doesn't have. I'll get in line for one...

Here's where I stopped for a foto op, and where my brakes locked up, immobilizing the car for 30 mins, until it sorted itself out and I  was on my way