News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

LaSalle 1937 Model 50

Started by jorgefife, September 27, 2020, 07:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jorgefife

Does anyone know where the location of the transmission dipstick is on a 1937 LaSalle? The manual says it is on the right side, I cannot find it

LaSalle5019

Seems like that would be the fill plug in the side of the transmission. Remove plug, fill until gear lube begins to run out, reinstall plug.
Scott

jorgefife

Is that something you do at the top of the engine, or is it located in such a way I have to go under the car?Does it not have a dipstick like ,say, the 59 ? I looked all over in the manual, cannot locate it

harvey b

You remove the plug,it is threaded,it will have a square head or a indented hex head on it,it is about half way up on the side of the case.it is on the passengers side of the case.Stick your finger in the hole to feel for the oil,it can be filled with a plastic bottle the oil comes in,get one with the little spout on top,i use 80-90 weight gear oil in my 37,there is enough room to slide under without jacking the car up,or a hoist is better if you have one.You just fill it until it starts to run out the hole. Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

LaSalle5019

No dipstick. You have to go under the car.
Scott

The Tassie Devil(le)

There is no dipstick for a Manual Transmission.

Plus, make sure that you are using the correct grade of oil for the transmission.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   I knew of a fellow that had to fill up his transmission (Automatic) and yes, you guessed it.   He only had been used to Manual transmissions and filled the Auto with Manual Trans oil, and the car would not drive.   When questioned, he said it took a really long time to get the oil in, and that is when the truth came out.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

39LaSalleDriver

I use GL-1 90 Gear Oil in my 39. I buy it by the gallon at NAPA and pour it into a cheapie ketchup/mustard squeeze bottle to squirt it into the transmission.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

jorgefife

I know it is a long shot, but where can I get floor mats, dont have to have the logo, but that they will fit, for front and back