News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Who says there is no demand for Cadillac wagons?

Started by GBrown #8092, September 27, 2020, 09:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBrown #8092

There is one on for sale on Bring a Trailer,  currently bid to almost $78,000!

Granted its a super clean 12k mile car. But clearly there is a demand for them.

Glenn

chrisntam

Quote from: GBrown #8092 on September 27, 2020, 09:49:39 PM
There is one on for sale on Bring a Trailer,  currently bid to almost $78,000!

Granted its a super clean 12k mile car. But clearly there is a demand for them.

Glenn

Ruh Roh, the link to the sale didn’t get posted.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Mike
Baillargeon

The Tassie Devil(le)

There is always going to be a demand for Wagons, especially Factory-built ones.

There could be a problem with the custom ones, as sometimes the build quality mightn't be as good, as the "Custom" builder had to possible make compromises when creating the rear parts, which in a lot of cases have been grafted on from Oldsmobile or Chevrolet vehicles.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

James Landi

WOW--- unusual... current bid at 77K (? )  that's a bold bid.   James

cadillac ken

wouldn't necessarily call it "demand" so much as an outlier.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

World of difference when talking V Series.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Andrew Trout

Quote from: cadillac ken on September 28, 2020, 08:07:00 AM
wouldn't necessarily call it "demand" so much as an outlier.

This is correct.

Bring A Trailer is a car enthusiast website, so car enthusiasts paying a lot for a pristine example of a rare car isn't really indicative of market demands. 
Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

Quote from: Andrew Trout on September 28, 2020, 09:34:13 AM
This is correct.

Bring A Trailer is a car enthusiast website, so car enthusiasts paying a lot for a pristine example of a rare car isn't really indicative of market demands.

Lots of car websites offering special interest vehicles - I don't think BaT necessarily holds any special advantage over any other high visibility internet site.  However, I would add that BaT's quality of presentation and description is far better than the typical amateur listings commonly seen when done by the owner on other sites. This is why BaT charges the higher fees it does for the extra service it provides.

Equally well presented, the car would do just as much elsewhere. As I said before, V-Series Cadillacs are in a completely different league than their standard production counterparts. Aside of exterior sheetmetal and a few interior bits, they are very different cars with a strong following.

Dave H. (CO)

If I ever stumble on a Cadillac wagon I'd give it a home if I was in a spot to do so.  A CTS-V Wagon is an entirely different breed though and can't be compared to much else.  Rare, fast, good handling, cult following = big money.
1956 Sedan Deville (current)
1966 Coupe Deville (past)
1966 Coupe Deville (past)
many misc. other brands and models

INTMD8

Z series?  Are we talking V here or is there something Z means I am missing? (serious question).

I think BAT has the ability at times to pull well above average numbers. 

There are some outliers you don't see elsewhere.

As for this car, I think it's probably the best spec V-wagon you could ask for.  Miles, color, slicktop, stick.

Tempting but I just don't need it.

cadillac ken

I've followed vehicles on BAT for some months now and even bid on one.

Great place to sell a car.  Buy a car--- not so much.  A lot of the selling prices have me scratching my head as to how much some of the offerings bring.  But as I said, I would always entertain selling a car there.  Buying, not likely. 

Quote from: INTMD8 on September 28, 2020, 10:55:28 PM
Z series?  Are we talking V here or is there something Z means I am missing? (serious question).

Typos corrected. Thanks.

Quote from: INTMD8 on September 28, 2020, 10:55:28 PM
I think BAT has the ability at times to pull well above average numbers. 

I agree. BaT presentations are professionally done and well written which is why. However they do charge sellers $250 up front to list as well as a 10% buyer's fee.  BaT also uses discretion on what listings it will accept and would probably want to have some idea of the consignor's expectations as well before contracting with sellers.

MaR

That car is a very rare version of a rare model. GM only made manual CTS-V wagons to order; I know this because I almost ordered one myself.

INTMD8

Buyers fee is 5%, capped at $5000.

Pretty good deal, especially compared to an auction house once you are talking big money cars.

I think what helps other than presentation is the comments which allows members to vet the cars, to a point.

Kind of on your own with an ebay auction in that regard.

I've sold a few cars on BAT and they did alright. My biggest issue has been getting them to agree to my reserve (they wouldn't on a few cars which ended up selling for much more than I was asking)

Matt CLC#18621

I've noted many 60s and 70s station wagons being bid up to what I believe are tremendously high prices, e.g. a fully loaded 68 Ford Country squire with PW. PL, PS, tilt, cruise, operating cold AC with 124,xxx sold for ~ $27,000 a few months back on eBay.

The Cadillac CTS wagon is one of my favorites.

Regards,
matt 18621
i am 2nd