News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

346 Throwout Bearing

Started by 39Flathead, September 28, 2020, 03:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

39Flathead

Working through the throwout bearing. Just started cleaning the thing but how do I know if it is reusable? And more importantly how do I take it apart to repack the bearing?

39Flathead

Never mind. Nothing a 20ton shop press can’t separate. Any favorite source for replacements?

Cadman-iac

If you clean it up you may find some numbers on it that may help identify it.
You can also make some measurements and see if your parts supplier can match it up with something that will work.

Are there none listed for the car, I don't know,  I haven't looked, but just from seeing it in your picture,  it doesn't look any different from what most of the GM line has used.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

39 flathead,
The bearing is sealed. I don't remember how they come off. I have a NOS one if you want to contact me at bobscads@comcast.net
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Jay Friedman

When throwout bearings are bad when installed, they make noise when you step on the clutch pedal.  When it is not installed, it will usually make noise if you just spin it. 

There's no sense trying to work on it since new ones are available.  You might as well buy one while everything is apart, rather than put everything back together and find out the bearing is no good.  I've bought throwout bearings on ebay for my '49 each time I've had to replace the clutch in the 36 years I've owned it. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

LaSalle5019

I bought a new one from Kanter Auto Parts and used a press to push it on/off the collar.  It is not a very tight press fit.
https://www.kanter.com/productdetail.aspx?DeptNo=1500&MakeName=Cadillac&MakeYear=1939&CategoryID=19&ProductCode=123&Router=Gallery

Scott