News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New Member / 68 DeVille Hood Under Car Release Method

Started by 340dart, September 29, 2020, 10:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

340dart

Hello everyone. I’m happy to have found a forum on these cars. About 17 years ago I built a 72 Dodge Dart and without the help of Moparts I would have a lot more of those expensive learning experiences.

I have a 1968 Sedan DeVille with 21,000 original miles that is in need of paint and overall freshening of components. I’ve had the car for two years under a good cover, but I have had quite the snag for the past month.

Though it opened previously the hood is stuck. Specifically it is getting hung up on the driver’s side when pulling the lower bar. I’ve tried lubricating the releases, pushing down and rearward on the back of the hood, giving it a solid Fonzie, and other things. I don’t see a ton of detail about the assembly in the Shop Manual or Fisher Body Service Manual. The best look that I’ve gotten at the assembly was one that was photographed for an eBay posting.

I’m now at the point where I have the headlights off of the car and am about to pull the bumper. I’ve searched the forum and see mention of releasing it from under the car but I cannot find or figure out how.

Is there a known method to release the driver’s side latch and “pop” up the hood that doesn’t require pulling the front end apart?

Photo attached. It was a close fit but these do in fact fit on U-Haul trailers.

Thanks,

340dart

Got it open and here’s how:
1. Pop hood using under bumper rod.
2. Remove soft filler cardboard piece behind the bumper
3. Using a 1/2” socket with some extensions on it to remove two nuts on the latch
4. Stick a big screwdriver in the latch & use some force to get it free. It will drop when it’s free.
5. Open hood.

Highwayman68

Quote from: 340dart on September 29, 2020, 08:17:18 PM
3. Using a 1/2” socket with some extensions on it to remove two nuts on the latch
4. Stick a big screwdriver in the latch & use some force to get it free. It will drop when it’s free.
5. Open hood.

That is exactly how I would have told you to do it based on experience. Now you have experience too!
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Cadman-iac

It's a good thing your car wasn't any longer,  or the trailer any shorter! One more inch either way and I don't think it would have fit.
Bet you had to make wide turns too!

Rick

PS: congrats on getting the hood open.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

340dart

Maybe it’s 121440? The inspection sticker is still on the car and it’s from 1977. The plate is from 75.

I bought the car based on the interior being overall impeccable (some minor splits in the back of the rear bench) and the cardboard in the trunk being intact. Brakes & even the e-brake still work.

The car was owned by a guy who stuck it in a warehouse in 77’. It was remove after his death in 05’ and put under a cover & awning. I bought it from that guy’s son-in-law who was storing it.

My dart is your typical steep gear, solid roller cam, and street slick bracket car masquerading as a street car with a license plate & inspection sticker. I’m really looking forward to taking this car back to factory with only changes that make it more reliable and maybe a little cam, intake manifold, and possibly a carb that I know more about.

cadillacmike68

OK, then it might very well be the real miles.

The paint & fenders threw me off, but that dash pic looks nice.

You don't need efi on these cars. My 1968 DVC with P&C starts in 1/10 of a second and runs Very well here in FL. and it's pushing 200,000 mi.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Highwayman68

Ask questions as you go in new threads before you dive in on something your not sure about and we will help you.

Also get a shop manual (Digital and paper), they are cheap on eBay and others like Facebook and Craigslist.

cadillacmike68

Quote from: 340dart on September 29, 2020, 08:17:18 PM
5. Open hood.

WTH is # 2, "soft filler cardboard piece"? There is no cardboard under the hood of my 1968 DVC, soft or otherwise
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

340dart

Quote from: Cadman-iac on September 29, 2020, 11:40:44 PM
It's a good thing your car wasn't any longer,  or the trailer any shorter! One more inch either way and I don't think it would have fit.
Bet you had to make wide turns too!

Rick

PS: congrats on getting the hood open.

Thanks Rick. Yeah, I drove veryyyyy slowly. Also I got it up there with a chain hoist. Slept great that night.

340dart

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on October 01, 2020, 02:09:38 AM

WTH is # 2, "soft filler cardboard piece"? There is no cardboard under the hood of my 1968 DVC, soft or otherwise

Maybe it isn’t cardboard. It’s the piece of flexible / fibrous material that is held to the bottom of the bumper and fills the space between it and the radiator support. It is secured with five plastic press-in connectors.

Also Mike you were right on RE: EFI. I flushed the fuel lines, changed the fuel filter, changed the oil, sprayed some light oil in the cylinders, turned it over a while to prime the oil system, poured a little gas in the carb, connected a battery and it started right up. Didn’t run it long but I’m thoroughly impressed at how this thing has come out of moth balls.

340dart

Quote from: Highwayman68 on September 30, 2020, 11:22:18 PM
Ask questions as you go in new threads before you dive in on something your not sure about and we will help you.

Also get a shop manual (Digital and paper), they are cheap on eBay and others like Facebook and Craigslist.

Thanks! I have the paper shop manual and the Fisher Body manual for this year. Digital shop manual is a good idea. I’ll get one at some point.

The Tassie Devil(le)

As you already have the Paper Manuals, then don't bother with the Digital ones as the Paper ones are far easier to work with.

Especially when using them at the actual car, as Computer Keys don't like dirty fingers.   Paper doesn't either, but the paper ones are easier to read without having to constantly scroll through.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Highwayman68

The digital version is easier to search and enlarge, keep an old laptop in the garage with the manuals loaded on it.

Highwayman68

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on October 01, 2020, 02:09:38 AM

Sounds like someone is missing the fancy dancy coverings that these cars came with probably to control air movement over the engine.... I don't know.

340dart

Quote from: Highwayman68 on October 01, 2020, 09:10:50 AM
Sounds like someone is missing the fancy dancy coverings that these cars came with probably to control air movement over the engine.... I don't know.

I'll be out of town this weekend but I'll take some photos with a ruler next to it in case anyone is missing and wants to make one.

Cadillac Fleetwood

I think he is referring to the macerated rubber material that is between the lower rear edge of the bumper, and the lower forward edge of the radiator cradle. 

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

J. Skelly

yes, probably the masticated rubber that GM used on a lot of cars as a splash shield between the bumper and radiator and condenser
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Highwayman68

Opps, my bad on my post, I was referring to Mike as the person who apparently doesn't have those on his car because he doesn't know what they are.

cadillacmike68

It's called masticated rubber. I have all the inserts. But it's Not cardboard. That would have never lasted a week when new.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike