News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

70's air shock lifespan issues

Started by TJ Hopland, September 29, 2020, 03:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

I can't seem to get an air shock that will last for more than about 3-5 years.    There appears to be 2 models of air shock that cover just about every 70's- 90's GM that could use them.   For quite a while Monroe and Gabriel both had em.   20 years go I think there were even quality and options within each brand.   Today it seems like Monroe is the last one that anyone carries.

Mine occasionally fail where the rubber bag cracks and they won't hold air but by far the most common failure is internal seals go and they leak oil which then seems to attack the rubber and cause air leaks.   I don't remember what brand is on the car now, what ever it is is the other brand from the ones that failed the 2 previous times.  The way they are turned I can't see the labels if there are any.

I don't remember ever getting what looked to me to be new production units.   Many times they were dusty beat up boxes.   Anyone know if even Monroe is still making these or are we just getting old stock?  Anyone buy any recently that looked to be new?   I don't remember being that suspect of the age of my last set but they sure didn't last.

The next question would be if they are recent production are they maybe just super low quality?   Even though it fits a lot of GM stuff there can't be that much demand anymore that even a brand like Monroe really cares that much about quality.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TMoore - NTCLC

My experience has been similar.  The last few pairs that I bought have not lasted more 3 years, and although my cars are not garage queens, they do not see "daily driver" abuse either.

I wised up a few years ago after having the AC/Delco branded shocks fail in just a couple of years, and switched over the Monroe's that the Auto-Zone carried, with a lifetime warranty.  Well, I guess Auto-Zone got tired of replacing those, because they finally stopped carrying them, and the last time I went in to exchange them, they just refunded my money.  The set I have on the cars now are Gabriel's that came from O'Reilly, and when I bought them, they had a lifetime warranty.  They appear identical to the Monroes (which appeared identical to the AC/Delco).

My leaks have been a little of both - mostly the seals letting the oil leak out, but some times the bag starts leaking.

If I ever find a shock with Oversprings that I am confident will left the rear up properly, I might give them a try.  Although it is not a big job to change them out, it should not be part of the regular oil change checklist!

Cape Cod Fleetwood

I just tie in my compressor and add more air when my rear end sags.
Go ahead, make jokes, I'm in too good of a mood to take offensive.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

cadillacmike68

The DVC does not have auto level control.  I have a schrader valve behind the rear plate andI have a small tire inflator and pump them up when needed.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Big Fins

I still have the original Delco's back there. They work just fine with the new springs and hold air.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille