News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

oil filter gone!!

Started by rivstg1, September 30, 2020, 12:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rivstg1

I've had my '57 SDV for a year now and just realized...after I changed the oil....that there isn't an oil filter there!!!  Why would someone remove the filter? I bought the filters on ebay....looked everywhere on the car for it ...notta. Looked in the factory manual and saw the missing cylinder not the driver's side of the engine.  So, I"m looking for one...found a couple but they are missing the oil lines....can anyone help me identify where the lines are supposed to go to (obviously one should go to the oil pan area I'd suppose.
1957 Sedan Deville, Tahoe Blue

TJ Hopland

I'm sure someone will be able to answer your question.   When I saw the subject thought this was going to be some sort of horror story where it disappeared when you were driving or just after a 'professional' service somewhere and now you were looking for someone to rebuild your engine.  Glad you just can't find it but the oil is still in the engine.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jamurray

I've responded to other similar questions with a question of my own.
Why?
I only put 1,000 miles a year on my car. It burns a lot of it in that 1,000 miles, but I change it every year. I'm not sure what a filter would do for me, and, unless your '57 is a daily driver, I'm not sure what it would do for you.

Jack

Alan Harris CLC#1513

For what it is worth, I owned a 1950 and a 1951 Cadillac, both of which were sold new without oil filters. They both made it well into the 1980's before I installed oil filter setups in them. My thinking at the time was that even if they didn't filter very much by modern standards, the engines would benefit from having an extra quart of oil to absorb heat and assorted crud.

My 1940 LaSalle came to me with a filter installed. After a while, I started to have problems with the lid loosening up on the canister and losing oil while driving. I am guessing that the threads were worn, because this happened several times.

I thought of removing it and running filterless, but ended up sourcing a NOS Fram setup and installing it.

I would guess that your 1957 developed a problem with leaking and the P.O. simply removed the filter and plugged the lines.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I have to agree with the previous posters.

The oil filtering system of those years was not
a full flow type design but just filtered a small
percentage of the oil.  It was called a "by-pass"
system. It was better than nothing, but not like
a modern system.  That oil filter system was
an option until (from memory) 1953 or so. 

If you are not going to use it as a daily driver
and are not worried about "originality" I would
suggest that you avoid the work and expense
and leave it as-is.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

rivstg1

thanks for the ideas and discussion fellas. My car isn't a daily driver but I do use it....gotta enjoy it.  Okay, Mike, perhaps I"ll just leave it as is.  Would any of you suggest, if I go that route, to possibly attach a strong magnet perhaps, to the oil pan to catch metal stuff, if any, that might be circulating ?  I was told that the enjoy had been rebuilt, but I can't verify that. All that I do know is that it runs great but has an oil leak appearing to come out of the rear main seal. :-(
1957 Sedan Deville, Tahoe Blue

TJ Hopland

How big is the drain plug?   That would usually be where a magnet is located so you can remove it along with what ever is stuck to it. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

lcc@ceimail.com

I also need info regarding the proper size, shape, position and routing for the engine oil lines to and from the optional oil filter for a 1953 model 62.  Help!  I could not find info in response this question in the forum - did I miss it?
THANKS

Big Fins

Just guessing on my part, but the service manual should inform you on where the lines supply and return from the filter. I would use these ports and add in a remote spin on filter that is easy and clean to change and be able to purchase replacements. These are used in marine applications all the time.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

signart

You can get a magnetic drain plug for about 10 bucks.
Art D. Woody

wheikkila

Not having an oil filter is not a death sentence to an engine. Even as a daily driver. I have driven air cooled VW's most of my life. As my daily driver to work. Even in the hottest days of summer. You have to basically forget the mileage and time. And go by what the oil looks and feels like. During the summer with stop and go traffic you changed it quite often. When the weather cooled off you changed it less. On my current bug. I have put 50.000 miles on it. I have driven it all over this country. When I pull the valve covers to adjust the valves it is clean inside. You can't just drive it till the mileage or time is up. You have to monitor the oil.
                                 Thanks Wayne 

wrench

While I agree that motors back in that era did not come with oil filters, they also came with a ready supply of quality OEM rebuild parts, unlike today where you might want to take all precautions to avoid having to crack into the motor and be forced to use parts imported from the exotic Far East.

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Jon S

If the Cadillac engineers put an oil filter as standard equipment on a 1957 there was a reason for it. Granted the oils of the time were non-detergent but that doesn't change the requirement to filter the oil. Back then the recommendation was to change the filter every other oil change but I have changed mine with the oil change at 2000 miles since new and the filters do get dirty. Realize the car manufacturers would not have installed an oil filter if it wasn't required. Every penny saved on a car goes to profit.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Jay Friedman

I think 1954 was the first year oil filters were standard factory-installed equipment on Cadillacs.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Caddieman53

Here is a photo of a 53 with optional oil filter. As shown, the upper steel line supplies oil to the filter, the lower line is the return.
P. W. Allen

53 Cadillac Coupe 6237X
Twin Turbine