News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

$25-30 K for paint 47 Cad series 62

Started by VandalRon, October 01, 2020, 11:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VandalRon

I have a couple of estimates for $25-30K  to paint my 47 series 62 conv.. On top of that I'll need a new interior and refurbishment of some trim and mechanical parts. The reason for the "high" paint is fear of the unknown as to what is under the old paint AND the fact that there is a lot of sq. footage.
I can handle some of the mechanical stuff and if I get an interior from someone like Jenkins I may be able to do some of the install.
Right now, I've decided to dismantle the body, have the parts media blasted and take the parts to the painter to hopefully ease some of their fears. Hopefully then the paint price will be closer to $20K than $30K.
My question: One or two pieces of stainless/chrome may be to damaged to put back on a newly painted car. Do you have resources for refurbishing the stainless or buying? Any other thoughts. BTW, I've decided to keep the car stock with the exception of modern brakes.

carlhungness

You'll find many listed in Hemmings who specialize in straightening stainless steel trim. I can tell you from experience last summer I personally removed more dents from the stainless trim on my '37 LaSalle than I thought I was capable of doing. Then I removed an 8" wide 2" deep 'hatchet slash" from a hubcap and got the dents out of seven other hubcaps. Then I attacked the grille emblems that I thought were beyond repair and if I do say so myself, they are on their way to looking new. In fact, I bought extra sets of the grille 'wings' and the V-8 emblems and after having them re-plated, and learning how to paint them, I am going to list the extras for sale. With patience you can do a lot more than you might initially think, I'm proof positive of that.
   The 20-30K for your paint is over the top. Dis-assemble the car, get the dents out, then have the parts primed and do as much yourself as you can. You should be able to cut the price in half if not lower than that.