News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1971 DeVille Valve Job

Started by elanmike, October 03, 2020, 05:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elanmike

A few months ago my 71 SDV was stolen out of my garage. We found it 4 days later with an extra 500miles on the car. The car is a true survivor with 33k mile on it Unfortunately, one of the issues was the car was running poorly after it was returned. Considering it was running like a top previous to this we investigated and found that they had burned the valves among other things. So off come the heads for a valve job this winter. Is there anything that I should be looking for , tricks to these engines or modifications that should be done (other than hardening the seats)? I figure that I probably should do the timing chain  will I'm in there. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Chances are they "floated" the valves by over-revving the motor.  When the valves float on that motor they have a good chance of hitting the pistons, so be prepared for more than just valves.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

elanmike

Would that be evident if one were to pull a plug and look with a scope?

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sorry to hear about your experience.

These heads don't need replacing the valve seats, unless they are damaged, as they were designed to run Unleaded Petrol when they were new.   These Cadillac heads have a high Nickel content, and therefore will stand up to the pounding on the valves.

Using a Bore Scope to check for damage would be a good idea, especially if one wasn't intending to pull the engine to do the heads.

If your Insurance covers the vehicle being stolen, then it should also cover any damage caused as a result on the theft, and I personally would be getting the Insurance Company to pay for the repairs, and be checking EVERYTHING.

I have heard of cases where the Insurance Companies have written-off vehicles that have been recovered, simply because of the possibility of additional claims being made following the vehicle being returned to the owner, as internal damage might not immediately show up, but could after a lot of driving.   Insurance Companies don't like additional claims after signing off.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

What sort of diagnostics was done to come up with burnt valves?    Even with abuse that doesn't seem that likely for one of these engines and if it was the problem due to abuse I would be concerned about what else got trashed. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

elanmike

We went through the diff, driveshaft and transmission. They seem to be fine (fingers crossed). The car was bottomed out and we have replaced a tire, wheel bearing and done an alignment. Probably because of this one of the motor mounts was trashed too. We will do all the mounts including transmission when we replace the the bad mount (while we are at it syndrome). We ran a leak down test because the car was running poorly after the theft. We , coincidentally, had the car dialed in because the carb had been rebuilt and we had added an electronic ignition just the month previous to the theft. I took a hit on the payout from the insurance company to not get it totaled and end up with a "Prior Salvage) title. The car is too nice for that and hopefully when done will be better than new.

35-709

If your car is not a daily driver, you need to talk to an insurance company that specializes in classic cars like yours.  Hagerty Insurance is one of several specializing in antique/classic car insurance.  You can get agreed value insurance where you and Hagerty agree on the car's value and you don't have to worry about an insurance company totaling your car for a minor mishap like yours or paying you less than what you should receive for your loss just to avoid totaling the car.  And you will, no doubt, pay far less.     
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

elanmike

So we scoped the pistons and all look good. Any suggestions regarding where to purchase valvetrain stuff? I am assuming they are not all created equally. Thanks

Big Fins

Are you getting any internal noise like maybe a collapsed lifter? Did you pull the covers and look for broken springs? Maybe even a bad spark plug is causing your issues.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille