News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1965 CDV worn window regulators

Started by bctexas, October 08, 2020, 10:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bctexas

Hi all.  I am in the process of replacing all the door weatherstripping and run channel in my '65 CDV.  I have the main window regulator out, and find that the pivots and plastic rollers all have from a little to a lot of slop.  I have searched the interwebs, and none of the commercially available rollers is the right diameter.  I have a lathe, so I am going to go ahead and make new rollers and pivot pins.  I plan to use black acetal delrin for the rollers.  For the metal arm pivots, I can resize the holes if needed and make whatever size pivot I need.  I don't plan to go anywhere near the pivot with the spring though!  Anyone out there been down this road?  Any advice gleefully accepted!

Happy Motoring!
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

Chuck Swanson

I believe shower door rollers from Home depot/Lowes are the same for '65 to save you some time.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

bctexas

1965 CDV
1970 SDV

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

I’ve had a question about these rollers for a long time. All the regulators I’ve worked are post ’65 where the tracks are curve to accommodate the curved glass. They had years of use and all the rollers rock on the shaft in addition to rolling. I’ve wondered whether this is the result of wear or design.

In addition to Chuck’s suggestion, you may want to try the small parts bins Ace  and True Value Hardware stores. I seem to recall and old post to that effect.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

bctexas

Quote from: Ralph Messina CLC 4937 on October 08, 2020, 12:00:04 PM
I’ve had a question about these rollers for a long time. All the regulators I’ve worked are post ’65 where the tracks are curve to accommodate the curved glass. They had years of use and all the rollers rock on the shaft in addition to rolling. I’ve wondered whether this is the result of wear or design.

In addition to Chuck’s suggestion, you may want to try the small parts bins Ace  and True Value Hardware stores. I seem to recall and old post to that effect.

Hi Ralph.  Hmmm - so maybe the play in the rollers is by design.  Interesting.  I think I will stick the regulator and window back in and play with it a bit to see if the new front run channel, and the lack of dried grease in the roller channels helps.  It would be nice if the rear run channel was available.  But the part listed by Steele that appears to be the rigid rear run channel turned out to be a channel for a sliding window (according to Steele).  Why they have that listed under 1965 DeVille parts I have no idea.....

Thanks!
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

bctexas

Well, I reinstalled the window but no luck on proper operation.  The rear of the glass would reach the stop (on it's highest setting) but the front would not.  And, the "up" motion was very slow.  So I took the glass and regulator out again.  One of the issues I saw was that the big black "gear" that is driven by the motor, that transmits motion to the regulator had a lot of slop in its pivot.  Also, the rivet attaching the black "gear" to the relay rod that moves the long arm was rocking in its mount.  This rivet is actually mentioned in the Serviceman's Bulletins as a failure point.  Originally, Cadillac recommended replacement of the regulator when the rivet started to rock in its mounting.  But later on they provided a new rivet with instructions for installing it.  Instead, I machined new pivots for both the "gear" and the connecting link.  They took almost all the slop out of the mechanism.  I'll try a couple of hardware stores tomorrow for the rollers.  Home Depot and Lowes web pages do not list a roller of the appropriate diameter.  If necessary, I have Delrin in hand that I can make new ones out of....
1965 CDV
1970 SDV