News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1949 Fuel Pump Rebuild - Pump Arm

Started by Joe V, October 10, 2020, 05:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe V

Anyone know what the measurement is for movement of the pump arm for a 49?  I just rebuilt my pump and the movement seems minimal.  Is vacuum needed to position the arm for full travel?

Thanks.

Jay Friedman

Joe,

With the fuel pump off the car and the coil to distributor secondary wire removed (in case there is still fuel in the carb bowl), have an assistant press the starter button while you measure the distance the camshaft-to-fuel pump rod moves up and down.  I think that should equal the distance the pump arm should move.

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

fishnjim

Unless you missed something in rebuild, the travel isn't all that much, but it should move - maybe stiff - like a lifter a few tenths.   
If it moves a lot that's wrong too - diaphragm linkage is off.   Make sure the pivot pin is firmly seated both sides.
The pump arm will probably be able to travel more than the rod to prevent damage.
The arm is longer to fit the slot depth, does not equal travel.  It makes up the lack of travel with frequency(rpms).   
Some of the after pump rod pumps, arms are quite long as they attach from outside the block, still don't move much.