News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

interesting article gmc v. cadillac

Started by mario, October 12, 2020, 01:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

What designates a Luxury vehicle?

Unless things have changed, Luxury is usually a reference to a person, or persons being chauffer driven around, with the rear seat passengers enjoying the comfort and convenience of being taken on a ride to any destination.  Be it the Cinema, Shopping or just an outing.

These GMC vehicles that are being referred to I would classify as just expensive tarted-up workhorses.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillacmike68

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on October 12, 2020, 08:29:28 PM
What designates a Luxury vehicle?

Unless things have changed, Luxury is usually a reference to a person, or persons being chauffer driven around, with the rear seat passengers enjoying the comfort and convenience of being taken on a ride to any destination.  Be it the Cinema, Shopping or just an outing.

These GMC vehicles that are being referred to I would classify as just expensive tarted-up workhorses.

As I always tell people who say I should get an Escalade: "I don't do trucks"
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cadman-iac

An Escalade is just a glorified Suburban anyway. Just like the Cimarron was just a Cavalier with extra chrome. These cross line platforms are designed to allow the auto makers to save money by sharing the cost of development.
It's not like it used to be years ago when if you bought a Cadillac,  you got a Cadillac,  not a decked out Chevy or whatever.
And here's part of the reason why.  Take a look at this.
https://za.investing.com/magazine/american-companies-owned-by-china/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=23845256321840493&utm_content=GM_2_W__&origin=facebook&fb_params%5Bad_id%5D=23845256325130493&fb_params%5Badset_id%5D=23845256322560493&fb_params%5Bcampaign_id%5D=23845256321840493&fb_params%5Bad_name%5D=GM_2_W__&fbclid=IwAR3NPVxyfUM9NfFT1l8X7SlyEUB06fSoW2KYbEP_4NEWDJfJZB9eZ5a0N2M

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Big Apple Caddy

Makes sense, given the popularity of pickups and Cadillac doesn't offer a pickup.  If price point (e.g., minimum $50,000) is solely being used to define luxury then there are probably other examples.  I would guess, for example, the Ford brand sells more "luxury" vehicles than Lincoln.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Cadman-iac on October 13, 2020, 08:42:03 AM
An Escalade is just a glorified Suburban anyway. Just like the Cimarron was just a Cavalier with extra chrome. These cross line platforms are designed to allow the auto makers to save money by sharing the cost of development.
It's not like it used to be years ago when if you bought a Cadillac,  you got a Cadillac,  not a decked out Chevy or whatever.

Automakers have been "sharing the cost of development" for quite a long time.  Cadillac's best sales years in the U.S. (1970s and 80s) had models sharing platforms and/or major components.  Acura, Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, Lincoln, etc. do it.   Even exotics like Bentley, Rolls-Royce, etc. do it.

Lexi

Rick that was a disturbing article. Enough said. Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

Quote from: lexi on October 13, 2020, 09:56:20 AM

That's a scary situation, but it's only the tip of the iceberg. There's other things going on as well, that are even worse, but I don't know if it's permissible to post them on here.
I found out about it from another member here, via an email. It's definitely something to pay attention to.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: lexi on October 13, 2020, 09:56:20 AM
Quote from: Cadman-iac on October 13, 2020, 10:27:37 AM
That's a scary situation, but it's only the tip of the iceberg. There's other things going on as well, that are even worse, but I don't know if it's permissible to post them on here.
I found out about it from another member here, via an email. It's definitely something to pay attention to.

The article also has some misleading content.  For example, it makes it sound like Haier bought the entire General Electric company in 2016 when the deal only involved the appliance business.

Yes, some Chinese companies/investors own parts of American companies just as some American companies/investors own parts of foreign companies but the article seems to want readers to think China practically has full ownership and control of all of these companies.

This sort of concern dates back to at least the 1980s when the impression then was that Japan was buying up America.

It is all something to continue to watch, though.  China is the second largest economy in the world by GDP.

Cadman-iac

My concern with all this is just simply being able to buy any product that is made here. I don't care that they sell their garbage here, but it's put good companies out of business by undercutting them. And the unsuspecting who buy this junk don't really have a good choice anymore.
I'm tired of buying something that breaks apart or fails to operate because it is cheaply made. Almost every day I have some product that fails,  and every time it's been something made in China.
It's like the problem with big box stores. Walmart has driven countless companies out of business.  Little companies, that up until Walmart came around,  were selling good products made here by people who live here,  and who now are having to work for Walmart at a minimum wage job, because they couldn't compete with them.
I honestly would pay more for anything that's made here over what comes out of China. I truly believe that they CANNOT  make a decent product,  and in fact go out of their way to make it as crappy as possible.
For example, let's take the last thing I bought for one of my trucks.  It was a very simple little part, a headlight adjuster. Just a screw and a piece of plastic,  just like what Chevrolet installed at the factory, right? WRONG!!
The first one failed immediately.  As soon as I hooked up the tension spring, the screw pulled out of the plastic retainer. No problem,  just a dud, right? WRONG!!!
  So I took it out, installed the other one that was in the package,  and it did the exact same thing.  I returned those and got another couple of packages, in the hopes that maybe one might work.
Well, out of 6 adjusters, I found one that would work.
So I figured,  go try another parts store,  a different brand,  they can't all be crap, right? WRONG!!! I got a different brand,  different company,  different supplier,  but all still made in China,  and all with the same quality of construction,  CRAP!!
I would gladly pay for an American made part, GLADLY!! But because of all the greed and whatever other things you want to blame it on, I CAN'T buy hardly anything made here anymore. It sucks! I think I can make one out of wood that would work better!
This is just one example of the $[]/! I have been having an issue with.  I can provide many more examples if you want. And it's not just automotive related parts,  it's everything that they make. Tools, garden supplies,  kitchen utensils and appliances,  washers and dryers, TV's, whatever! You name it, it's crap!
What really ticks me off is how people don't care. What happened to us?

Rick
CLC# 32373

Big Apple Caddy

I am also disappointed by how many products are manufactured in China but that is a separate issue to what the article was supposedly trying to point out.  I also wasn't really trying to downplay the "China situation" but there's more to these U.S./China investment scenarios than the article states.  I think the article has more exaggerated, misleading, overstated content than it should and is a bit too click-baity.

As far as where products are being made, go back to the 1960s and 70s, change "China" to "Japan" and a lot of the concerns, sentiments then were similar.  Japanese quality has improved a lot since those early days and the same is/will likely be true for Chinese products.  Of course, American made products can certainly have quality issues too.

Big Fins

Can a Mod please fix the link in the initial post of this thread? Having to scroll back and forth to read every reply is getting tedious.

Thanks!
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

chrisntam

I'd read this thread but because the way the link was posted, everything is shifted far to the right.

Mods - help it!
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

mario

Hey john:
When I posted the original link, it was fine. When the first response was posted, it was still o.k. It happened after that. I don't know which one tripped it but it is annoying and it reduces the print to small print.
Ciao,
Mario Caimotto

cadillacmike68

Folks should use tinyurl to shorten those ginormous links.

Strange, tinyurl is caught by the spell checker but not ginormous. ??
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Big Apple Caddy

Why would it be caught?  Ginormous is considered a real word.  It dates back to 1942.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ginormous

Big Fins

The Mods are still asleep at the wheel.

I learned two things today. How to reseal a Saginaw P/S pump and ginormous isn't a Millennial founded word.

Life is good!
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Big Fins on October 14, 2020, 03:34:52 PM
The Mods are still asleep at the wheel.  I learned two things today. How to reseal a Saginaw P/S pump and ginormous isn't a Millennial founded word.
Life is good! 
Not asleep, just trying to figure out how to do it without causing problems.

PS.   It isn't the learning new things that is good, but being able to remember what one learnt. ;)
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV