News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Star Smog

Started by flw004, October 13, 2020, 03:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flw004

The idiots that govern California are making it harder and harder each year to smog older cars.  I've got a 1976 Eldorado, and the state continues to lower emission numbers that make it almost impossible to pass.  Does any Caddy owners out there know of a star smog station that can pass my 76 in the San Gabriel area that knows Cadillacs?

Thanks much,
Fritz

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

I thought that you only had to meet the emissions standards that were in effect whe the car was new.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Cadman-iac

Fritz,

I'm sorry I can't help with your question,  but I had a friend who lived out there years ago and he also had an old vehicle that had to go through the emissions testing.  But from what I was told,  the vehicle being tested only has to pass the emissions standard for the year the vehicle was built,  not anything newer.
Is that how they are still doing it, or are they trying to screw everyone with an old car now?
Because if they're requiring you to meet a standard that your vehicle would never ever pass even when new, then that's just plain wrong,  and frankly should also be illegal.
Just my two cents on it.

Rick

Sorry for the duplication,  I just noticed that Greg posted 12 seconds before I did.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

TJ Hopland

I wonder if they are just lowering the percentage they consider passing?    Maybe if your car was supposed to be a 10 and they used to say they would pass at 15 and now they are saying 14?   I could see that but not saying its got to be lower than it was designed to be in the first place.

The real important question is what are you failing on?  You really have to know what specific part of the test you are failing on and by how much.   If you have the last few test results there may be a trend that will give some clues.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TC

A little late to this post but your car should pass easily if the engine compression is good and all else in good working order including plug wires, CAT, air injection and an EGR valve plus relatively high pass/fail "cut-points". I just checked on the CA BAR site and your 76 Eldo is allowed:

ASM 5015 Test or 50 seconds at 15 mph test: (ASM is Acceleration Simulation Mode which means your car goes on the dyno to measure NOx)

HC 173 PPM
CO 1.16%
NOx 1206 PPM

ASM 2525 25 seconds at 25 mph test

HC 140 PPM
CO .96 %
NOx 1066 PPM

If your car is properly tuned, and your CAT good and the EGR system working, your tailpipe readings should be AT LEAST half of the limits.

The other caveat is the Evaporative system. Pre-OBD 2 cars (1995 and earlier) require the evap system to be pressure tested manually with 1psi of nitrogen. Also the gas cap is tested. 45 year old evap hoses are a common evap failure.

If you failed, post the report so we can see where the problem could be.

If you already passed the test, congratulations! You have two years until having to do it again.

(BTW, only one cut limit standard for the 76 Eldo meaning no listing for fuel injected models)

TJ Hopland

Does a 76 even have any valves on the evap system?  I thought those came a little later.   I know a little earlier had the charcoal canister but it didn't have any valves so there would not be anything to hold any pressure.

How long do they have to hold the pressure?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TC

Yes, Evap started in 71 and 76 had a mechanical purge valve. However, to test, they will pinch off the evap line just before the canister which pressure tests the fuel tank and lines up to the canister. The lines from the canister to the carb and purge valve are a visual inspection.

flw004

Thanks fellows for all your valuable insights.  After a couple of failed test I found a guy that leaned the engine out enough so that it would pass.  He then retuned the carb to smooth the idle back to normal.
As much as I love my 76, I think I'll get me a 75 or get the heck out of California!!!!

41 Tour Sedan
60 Coupe de Ville
65 Coupe de Ville
76 Eldorado

Fritz,

Bobby B

Quote from: flw004 on November 18, 2020, 04:59:38 PM
I think I'll get the heck out of California!!!!

>:D
     Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

chrisntam

Quote from: flw004 on November 18, 2020, 04:59:38 PM

As much as I love my 76, I think I'll get me a 75 or get the heck out of California!!!!

Fritz,

B for the win Alex!
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas