News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1961 Convertible Special Trim Code - SO12675

Started by Eldo1953, October 18, 2020, 09:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eldo1953

I have a '61 Convertible (61-6267) with a trim code of SO12675. Anyone know why my trim code is so strange? And is there any way to tell what the original interior is? I have the Optional Specifications Manual for the '61 but it does not give any details on this kind of trim code.

- Joe
Joe P.
(C). 714 833 2253

jagbuxx #12944

Please post a photo of your interior. We may be able to determine what the deviation from standard was. The SO # matches your body number which is normal.
My ‘61 Coupe was an SO Car also, full leather interior, which was not a normal production option for 1961. It also has a number that matches my body number...
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

Eldo1953

The interior has since been changed and I do not have the original interior. Is there any way to tell what the original might have been even without a witness?
Joe P.
(C). 714 833 2253

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

This side of original documentation it's impossible to know what the special order was.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Cadillac Fleetwood

The two staples on Joe's body plate, and the three staples on Frank's, once held a piece of IBM cardstock which described the special order components/colors/materials. Being paper, they did not last very long.
Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Eldo1953

Is the SO interior limited to only 61 interior styles and fabrics? What are the limitations of an SO interior?
Joe P.
(C). 714 833 2253

Quote from: Eldo1953 on October 19, 2020, 10:48:47 PM
Is the SO interior limited to only 61 interior styles and fabrics? What are the limitations of an SO interior?

SO can be any year. The only limitation was one's imagination.

D.Smith

Without the paper that was stapled to that tag, or the original sales order with the dealers remarks noting the interior deviation we will never know.     The factory did not keep records of special order details.

We can only speculate what it was.    Leather was standard in convertibles. And bucket seats were a regular production option in convertibles, so we can rule those two things out.

The exterior color is/was Fontana rose.  So we can only guess what interior a person ordering the car new would have wanted as a deviation that would look good on that color car.    A Rose interior was not offered in the Series Sixty Two convertibles.    But it was in a Coupe deVille.    So my guess is that the S.O. was for rose leather that was available as a special request in a Coupe deVille was what was special ordered in your car.   Just a guess.  But I can't think of any other deviations that were not already listed as available choices.

Quote from: StevenTuck on October 21, 2020, 08:17:19 AM
Would the build sheet specify the special order interior?

All the build sheet would indicate is the presence of special order item(s); ie: paint and/or trim. Will not identify what the changes were. The same information is listed on the body plate already so there would be nothing further to be learned from the build sheet however there may be some rare exceptions.

D.Smith

Quote from: Eldo1953 on October 19, 2020, 12:21:16 PM
The interior has since been changed and I do not have the original interior. Is there any way to tell what the original might have been even without a witness?

Joe,  I think your only hope of finding out is to ask the previous owner what it had, or if they don't know, ask if they know the previous owner and try asking them.   Someone must know.    Aside from that, the only other thing I can think of is to look thru the interior , under panel edges, under trim etc where you might find remnants of the original material. 

Clewisiii

Or take this as an opportunity and make the interior in any combination of original interior materials you want.  It was SO there is no one who can tell you it was not correct.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

jagbuxx #12944

I think D.Smith has the most likely answer, ordered with Rose leather which would have been code 49L on the dealer order card...
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

The interior could have been entirely regular production except something as minor as steering wheel grips were ordered in color other than they would have been for that interior code, it becomes SO.

Could also have been white leather with rose colored upper door panels, dash and carpet with white lower dash and door armrests, white steering wheel rim with rose grips.

As I said, impossible to know - all is speculation.