News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Sadly said goodbye to my much loved LaSalle today.......

Started by z3skybolt, October 22, 2020, 07:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

z3skybolt

And so today after 4 1/2 years of ownership and just over 8,000 miles of motoring fantasy....my heavily damaged LaSalle went home to a new owner.  Don is exactly the right guy for the project.  At age 73 he has a lifetime of restoring and enjoying collector cars as a hobby. Does all the work himself.  Even though it was badly wrecked, he was very excited and made three profound statements before he left. "This was exactly what I was looking for".  "I don't see any damage here that will be difficult to fix".  and "Don't take this wrong....but you sold her cheap"!

Imagine that. The body shops wanted $30,000.00+ to fix her.  I am glad that she has a new home and will be returned to her former glory,
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Lexi

That's actually good news for both you and the car. You know she is going to a good home and will live again & you have peace of mind. Miraculously, the car also protected you at the time of the accident. Clay/Lexi

Dan LeBlanc

Never hurts to keep in touch with the new owner - who knows, one day, maybe you'll own her again!
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

J. Skelly

Bob,

At least take comfort in the fact that the car is going to be fixed up rather than someone buying it at a higher price to part it out.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

harry s

Very fitting close of a chapter but not the end of the story. I bet he got a lot of attention on the highway.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

fishnjim

One of those life interferes things.   Don't fight it.   It'll all work out.
I used to get really upset when things didn't go as I liked, and after a few "close shaves", had I gone that way, I wised up.
If we think "we're in charge", there's a 1.6 micron(millionth of inch) diameter virus, a tiny hunk of proteins and sugars, that's causing all kinds of issues and says different.   Can't see it, don't know what to do about it, and controlling our every move and affecting everyone on earth.
Some say life is like a book, one chapter closes, one opens, but I like the uneven stair steps to where we're headed in life.   Some are easy, some are difficult and require much effort and stretching to go to next level.   Some never climb or go up very far, or afraid of heights so to speak.
I'm concerned a 73er bought it.   I (67) sent my heater valve to get fixed by a 77er, today.   Not many taking up the craft or learning the know how.  Too busy tweeting, etc..   He's obviously seen his share of orange crates and feels confident he can repair.   Not my cup of tea.   But I thought I'd be driving my coupe now, but "shingles" roofed me for 3 months!
It was like this in the 50-60s when the WW2 guys held the pre-wars in esteem.  You couldn't touch a model A back then when I was starting to drive.   Now they're a dime a dozen again.   Watch the untouchables, 50-60s, and see all the pre-war cars available back then.   The next gen 80-90s era is coming on.   

z3skybolt

Quote from: J. Skelly on October 23, 2020, 10:30:54 AM
Bob,

At least take comfort in the fact that the car is going to be fixed up rather than someone buying it at a higher price to part it out.

I agree,

I actually raised my price $1,000.00 from the initial posting and received my new asking price without hesitation.  There was a great deal of residual value left in the LaSalle despite the damage.

As I saw it there were only two ways to realize that value from an economic standpoint.  1.  Part it out.  No question that the value achieved by parting it out would exceed my selling price by several thousand dollars.  2. Someone who had the time, talent, facilities, equipment and money to repair/restore the vehicle could, with a modest financial investment, end up with a nice car.

I didn't have the heart for #1 nor the technical qualifications to consider #2.   The new owner met the qualifications and has the intentions that we all hope for....keeping these old collector cars on the road.

Hopefully my experience will help others in the future avoid some of my mistakes and consider all the alternatives should they ever find themselves in a situation kin to mine.

Happy motoring....

Bob

Big Fins

Any way of seeing the other side of the car? I assume that is the damaged side?
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

z3skybolt

John,

Before I removed the bumper, grille and right front fender to make the damage more easily visible.

z3skybolt

Quote from: Big Fins on October 23, 2020, 03:11:46 PM
Any way of seeing the other side of the car? I assume that is the damaged side?

After I removed the fender.

Big Fins

HOLY S**T!!!!! That car took a serious hit. I hope that you came out of it unscathed.

The buyer must have a full shop to work in. That frame is going to take some work to bring back into alignment.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

z3skybolt

John,

The frame is undamaged. Even the Hagerty adjuster acknowledged that. The impact missed frame components.  Other than the grille and radiator area....the impact was in line with the right front fender. The damage was mostly the bumper, bumper guards, grille, soft frontal metal, radiator, destroyed right front suspension, broken tie rods, small dent in the front of the oil pan and a heavily damaged lower, right firewall.....which will have to be cut out and a donor piece installed.  The trunk lid came unlatched, broke the hinges and flew over the top of the car; landed in soft grass and was otherwise undamaged.

Don has restored/rebuilt a lot of cars as a hobby and was unfazed by any of the damage.

Bob

Big Fins

Thank you for the back story. It's like losing a close friend to a certain degree.

Because I'm not familiar with the car, it looked to me like the entire front frame stubs were bent like a 'Z'. Plus the cooling system hoses were crushed at a straight 90o angle.

Be happy that she protected you.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

chrisntam

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on October 23, 2020, 06:48:36 AM
Never hurts to keep in touch with the new owner - who knows, one day, maybe you'll own her again!

^^^This.^^^^

You know the history and quirks of the car, maybe you can help him once he gets the collision damage repaired.  Hopefully, he is receptive to your contact with him, should you so desire.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas