News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Power steering pump leak 52 series 62

Started by Omarine, October 22, 2020, 08:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omarine

Hello all,

Ive got a power steering pump that looks like it has been rebuilt. Works well but it drips from the rear facing plug wih the spring under it. Drips onto valve cover then exhaust manifold.

Ive tried a few things with the plug like replacing the oring, taping the threads, making a gasket for the bolt and even a copper crush washer.

Seems to leak the same. Are these known for this, or better yet is there some trick to get it to stop weeping?

Thanks
Cheers
Oscar
1949 Harley Davidson FL
1952 Cadillac Coupe de Ville
1961 Chevy Impala 2 dr hardtop

fishnjim

If NPT plug (pipe thread) try a little pipe dope/thread sealer.   Reg or teflon.
BUT;
I suspect it's leaking somewhere else and just dripping off the plug area since your attempts to fix did nothing.   Mine was doing that after first rebuild.   There's an issue with the new gaskets.   Check under the reservoir and the gaskets.   

Omarine

Thanks Jim, the reservoir isn’t leaking and i am noticing leak has slowed. It’s like a drop a night. Probably “acceptable” but still annoying.

I picked up another pump on ebay which has the same casting number but thst brackets are different and it doesn’t have the plug on the back where mine leaks.

I suppose i could try that one. My pulley needs to come off to re use my brackets and I hope this doesn’t open a pandoras box.

Cheers
Oscar
1949 Harley Davidson FL

wrench

I don’t know what the pump housing looks like, but you could look at the plug boss with magnification to see if there is a small crack causing a leak.

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Omarine

Thanks Jim, i will have to take it off sometime when im ready for the mess. I did get the drip to slow down but it’s still there...
1949 Harley Davidson FL