News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Aftermarket A/C system for 1956

Started by GOldman, October 22, 2020, 09:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOldman

Hello all,

I am working on a non a/c Seville. Wondering if there are any vintage air products/kits available for the 365 out there? Would love to get cold air in this car as we live in South Florida.

Thanks!
Dan

35-709

Talk to Vintage Air at  https://www.vintageair.com/
You can put AC in just about anything, especially these days --- expect it will be an underdash unit.

Classic Auto Air is another --- https://www.classicautoair.com/

Old Air Products yet another --- https://www.oldairproducts.com/

I have used Vintage Air and Classic Auto Air in my various restorations/resto-mods for use here in Florida, have been happy with both and that is not to discount Old Air Products, they are all good in my experience.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Big Fins

I've used all three vendors for various items over the years. Never any issues with parts or customer service.

Old Air Products supplied my compressor, condenser and VIR eliminator in the car that I have now.

Most products will be about the same across the board. The under dash units will have differing styles. Choose what you feel looks and fits the best for your application.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Brent Hladky #21519

Could one not just install a period correct correct Cadillac a/c system?  In other words, put the blower in the trunk and have the cold air come out of the package tray?  There was a fellow in Nevada, I believe, a couple years ago who posted here on the Forum that he had one and would give it away to whomever would pay the shipping to receive it.

Big Fins

Sure you could. The factory did it. Why can't you? Locate the parts and have at it.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

J. Gomez

Quote from: Brent Hladky #21519 on October 23, 2020, 01:35:47 PM
Could one not just install a period correct correct Cadillac a/c system?  In other words, put the blower in the trunk and have the cold air come out of the package tray?  There was a fellow in Nevada, I believe, a couple years ago who posted here on the Forum that he had one and would give it away to whomever would pay the shipping to receive it.

Brent,

Adding an A/C unit to a non-A/C car would require more than just adding the compressor and the evaporator on the trunk.

You will need the control unit for the inside cabin, the A/C line from the compressor to evaporator, the robber boots and metal ducts for the air at the rear plus the grills, the fresh air scoops on the outside the cardboard scoop between the rear of the evaporator and the seat and last but not least the small grills under the rear seat for the cabin air intake.

If you have a Seville there are no roof ducts to worry so the cool air just exist from outlet grill at the rear seat, if you have a sedan you will need the roof ducts for both right and left side plus the clear plastic tubes to direct the air out to the ducts. There is also the control cable to move the rear metal duct to flips the doors from inside to outside fresh air.

So as you can see there are more pieces to the complete puzzle to transplant the A/C unit into a non-A/C car.
Also since the cool air exist from the rear on the Seville it take a long time to get cool at the front so it was not as reliable/comfortable.

If you do not care about originality it may be best to add a modern A/C with the front unit so you can enjoy the cool air. 

Good luck..!   
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Big Fins

You just took all of the 'coolness' out of it for him.  :'(

As the driver, I would be much happier with an aftermarket system. This can be reversed at a later date if need be, to stay with originality. Plus me, as the driver would get to enjoy the cool air while cruising and not the empty back seat.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

J. Gomez

Quote from: Big Fins on October 23, 2020, 05:25:41 PM
You just took all of the 'coolness' out of it for him.  :'(

:D

Quote from: Big Fins on October 23, 2020, 05:25:41 PM
As the driver, I would be much happier with an aftermarket system. This can be reversed at a later date if need be, to stay with originality. Plus me, as the driver would get to enjoy the cool air while cruising and not the empty back seat.

I agree a bit simpler to get it install and enjoying the cooler on the front.  ;)
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

The Tassie Devil(le)

I too would prefer to have the benefit of the AC in the front.

Plus, wouldn't the newer retro AC's have the ability to "Condition" the air that comes from these units?

From what I read, those original AC units were simply a Refrigerator supplying cold air, unlike the Climate Control units from 1972..

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Bruce,
Automatic Temperature Control started in 1964.  The early systems were in fact just separate cooling circuits with temperature only control.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thanks Greg.

So what is the difference with the onset of 1972, when it became Climate Control?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Starting in 1964 the systems were designed to first dehumidify the air and then by blending air off the Evaporator with air diverted over the heater core, deliver it to the cabin at the proper temperature to achieve the desired in cabin temperature.  The devices used for all functions (heating, cooling, control) changed almost continuously until the early 80's, but I do not believe 1972 has any significance as a change of basic design.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

V63

The 1956 original AC would be hard to beat, in capacity and filtering. The original system had oil coated metal woven mesh that was advertised as filtering pollen and dust.

I have had a few of these OEM systems with and without roof vents. They were very comfortable.

I added vintage air (premium model)  to a 1957 Cadillac and it’s cooling capacity was marginal at best. In my opinion The aftermarket AC systems are not designed for cabins Cadillac sized, certainly from the excessive heat load of the Sonoran desert of Arizona.

Big Fins

I guess it's the preference of the owner. I had an under dash system in my black '59 SDV here in Florida and I had to wire in a resistor to the blower to lower it because it got too cold in the car.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Tom Forsberg

I have a 1956 and struggled with the idea of original myself but live in Hawaii and wanted to be able to enjoy my car.  I also was never fond of the under dash box unit and considered a vintage air genII but that was going to be very difficult to install.  I ended up installing the vintage air under the dash earlier this year and it has worked great and I can enjoy my car all year long.   However there’s a-lot to take into account.  I installed dual electric cooling fans which then required me to upgrade to a 105 amp alternator from the generator and create brackets etc.   i found some photos of an unconventional bracket configuration on someone else’s 56 that worked great as I am by no means a metal fabricator!  I’m glad I did it and was hard for me to give in to changing anything that was not stock.  I had to make a few tough decisions but again for me it was about driving it not looking at it in the garage.  As always it’s each persons preference and choice what makes them happy.  Attaching a couple photos and before anyone comments....the unit is level my picture was off because of the way I took it  ;D. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
1956 series 62 CoupeDeVille

fishnjim

Complex issue from a cost/benefit view.   
Real issue:Wrong vehicle in wrong location.   With the nostalgia, comes the period conditions.   There weren't that many or this would have it.   And how many of those  survived for parts?   Could make "factory" a costly/drawn out path and still won't be "original".   That's why the aftermarket exists and most people can not engineer their own system.
Best path: Sell the car and buy something else you like with factory A/C unless this vehicle is already heavily modified.   Someone in a milder clime or collector, won't notice/care.

bctexas

My dad had a Mark IV knee-knocker AC system in his '59 Caddy SDV when I was a kid in the '60's.  We also had a '62 Impala with a knee-knocker.  It was very common in the south back then.  And they worked great.  For a "driver" without factory AC I think it would be a neat period correct conversation piece.  Better yet, I think I read a while back that one of the classic AC outfits even makes a replica of the Mark IV. 

Happy Motoring!
Bernie
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

bcroe

I drove a lot of miles in several cars equipped with under dash units,
they were simple and did the job for me.  Battery drain was never a
problem, upgrades were done on the cooling system.  Generally a
deeper core radiator was used with a 7 blade clutched fan and baffle. 
A recirculating fuel pump system will help avoid vapor lock. 

I did not do a lot of slow city driving in very hot areas, not worried about
overheating the engine, but the AC condenser out front could get pretty
hot if the car was not moving.  I put a pair of smaller electric fans in
front, which would come on at half speed (connected in series) if the
condenser got hot.  They would also run full speed to cool things after
shutdown if the engine was too hot.  They were never intended for
primary engine operational use, and the 65A alternator system was
not changed.  Bruce Roe