News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Fuel Pump Quality

Started by Michael Petti, October 24, 2020, 12:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Petti

Replacing a mechanical fuel pump in a 60 CDV due to insufficient fuel pressure in the one I have. It has about 3.8 pounds and I'm told it should be around 6.5 ish.  Car does seem to starve for gas when step on pedal hard.  I have seen a  number of posts on this site indicating Airtex pumps are poor quality but Carter ok.  I have a Carter now and got a replacement Carter on warrantee since less than a year old and the new one won't pump any fuel at all. I reinstalled the old one so car will run.   I have seen a brand named Spectra but I have no idea if they are any better. They do cost about two and a half times more. That's ok if they perform. I'm trying to keep car stock, but tired of getting dumped on road and replacing fuel pumps.  Does anyone have experience with other brands of fuels pumps with better quality?

Dave Ventresca

i have an airtex on my 53 . works flawlessly . Dave

dadscad

I have used an Airtex pump on my 63. It lasted 15k before the intake valve fell out. Of course, that left me stranded. There have been numerous similar reports of Airtex pump intake valve failures on the 63/64 board. I boght a spectra pump because I have been told they were good pumps. I took the bottom cover off to compare it to the Airtex, looked just like the Airtex right down to not staking the intake valve in the body of the pump, which is why they fall out.

I sent my Airtex to Terrill Machine to have it rebuilt rather than taking a chance  with the new Spectra pump, because of the intake valve. Terrill Machin stake the valve so it will stay put. It's a little more expensive,  but should be a higher dependability factor. HTH
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

TomJudd

Carter recently bought Airtex or vice versa.  Contacted corporate, beware many previous part # s have been reused and are totally different now. I had to find a large qty retailer to get previous part numbered correct part (old stuff on shelf in warehouse) General comment on that style pump.... pull cover and be sure check valves are "staked " into casting !!

Joe G 12138

Ditto on the 429 Airtex pump problems. I've had many failures on new pumps within the last 5 or 6 years; but never did autopsies to determine the cause as I was able to usually exchange under warranty. Last time around (2019) Rock auto refunded my money rather than give me a new pump, saying they were unavailable.  Currently operating on an old stock "KEM" but realize it was probably a 30 year old unit before I put it in. When I get some extra time or get in a bind I'll open up the last airtex and inspect the valves. Thanks for the tip!
        BTW, last year I actually installed an electric pump as a backup as I was fed up with surprise failures so often. I've been driving '65 Cadillacs since 1986 and never felt a need to make this modification in the past, but that last failure put me over the edge!
        I've had good service with the '54-'56 style airtex's.  And anything rebuilt by Terrill has been great!
                                 Joe Gibeault

fishnjim

https://airtexasc.com/the-airtex-asc-difference/history/    See 2017.   
I notified Airtex Tech Service twice about the pump quality/ check valves blowing out.

Yes, I think Airtex acquired Carter in one of the mergers.   I suspect who you buy from and what their stock policy is in regards to what you'll get.   They were a bit tight a few months ago.   So prices may be higher than before.

Spectra Premium (Canadian Co.) builds gas tanks. sending units, pumps, etc..   Their site doesn't show a fuel pump for '60 Cadillac, nor '58 on search?   So maybe new item.

I'm in the middle of switching over to an electric.   Pulled the mechanical completely.  Can't trust the pump push rods anymore either.   Prone to insufficient lube/wear.
As an aside, if you have any leaks or loose fittings in the line, any air siphoned in, foamy gas, etc will kill the prime on a mechanical.  These pumps have low NPSH and a small cavity volume and work on rapid stroking.   I'd check fuel line and replace, if rusty.   Tank may also have crud in it.   Only takes a wee bit to plug the outlet fitting and drastically reduce flow.   Rated, ~30-35 gph, is a couple times more than what the carb needs at WOT, plus fuel bowls act as reservoirs for surges.  So if not getting gas it's in the supply.   Check the carb inlet filter screen.  Gas cap too.   Sometimes the gasket sticks and don't vent right.

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

I have two Airtex pumps for my 54 and the valves failed on both, one after the other. The valves aren't staked but on neither pump did the valves fall out. The valves stopped closing properly, either the rubber went hard or the tiny springs went weak. The pump worked fine if I drew the fuel up with a bulb pump. Of course when the engine was turned off the fuel drained back down and wouldn't pump up again. I had a rebuild kit for a British AC pump and the valves were the same size. I put them in and it works perfectly now. I was given an original AC pump by Clay and plan on getting a kit for that.  Phil

TomJudd

On my 58 and 59 iI installed electric pumps in line just before the mech. pump. U need the correct free flow type. I ran a lead through firewall into glove box pigtailed w cigar lighter end. Use fused cigar lighter socket for power only to prime after sitting, and very rare occaision of vapor lock. Also works as a back up if mech does go south!!  So pleasant to cold crank engine to pre oil, two throttle pumps fires up . If u wnt part # get back to me. Also 10 foot pigtail cigar 12v wire/lead

Michael Petti

This is all great information. never realized the springs go weak or valves stop sealing.  I should have mentioned that the tank was new about 5 years ago as is the fuel line and sending unit and cap. I doubt crud is in there. Much as I want to stay stock I will consider and electric in line pump. what brands types or suppliers are good? or suppliers are good. I don't  want to pull the tank again.