News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

2nd Person Dealer Ads in the For Sale Section

Started by BJM, October 27, 2020, 09:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJM

Removing topic by request.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 11:14:26 PM by BJM »

To set the record straight, BJM removed the message himself.   He did this at the same time he requested that the Administrators delete his Membership of the Forum.

Bruce Reynolds,
Forum Administrator

76eldo

I have a different opinion.
I think that we should keep the for sale section on this forum for members of the forum only.  For me, if I want to search C-List, Ebay, or FB Marketplace, I know how to do that and look in those places periodically.
Why do we need the links posted here?  Just my opinion.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

I agree with Brian. Dealers need to pay for the ads. Our membership pays for the web hosting and all of the admins volunteer thier time. Many dealers want nothing to do with the club and it makes little difference to some whether you belong to a club or not.
1953 Series 62 
1966 Fleetwood 
1969 deVille Convert.
1941 Series 63

wrench

All I can say is if the ads are limited to member’s vehicles, the For Sale section will wither and dry up and since there will be no traffic to the for sale section, member’s vehicles will be even less likely to be viewed by anybody.

The For Sale section is a slow roller as it is even with CL and Ebay links.

I would be curious of the stats for the effectiveness of the For Sale section for the forum members.

I doubt it’s effectiveness.

Also, if the member owns a business that buys and sells and or restores cars, how is that any different than linking to a CL or EBay ad?

I have been on a lot of automotive forums for a long time and every enthusiast forum has a cadre of commercial interests that likes to come across as plain ol’ folks.

And if that’s the case, then apply the rule equally to the parts for sale section too.

Now, I’m not advocating that, I am just saying that a quick glance at the for sale sections hasn’t revealed any really bad faith acting other than a few parts scammers, so even that would point the fickle finger of fate towards that forum more so than the cars for sale.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

76eldo

Having outside items shown in the For Sale section does nothing for traffic on this site.
It would be great to have more people coming to this message board but the entire message board platform is dying anyway. Every social media platform like FB, Instagram and others are where the traffic is.
My question is of the CLC members and the Message Board members who are looking to buy and sell, then can find their own outside stuff at will. This forum is, I think, for discussion and trade within our group.  To me all of these outside links clog up the pages.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

chrisntam

I agree with Bryan and disagree with Brian.

I think linking to a dealer ad on a neat car has benefits.  I don't frequent FB or Clist looking for or at cars.  FB is so fouled up, my feed (or whatever it's called) is not newest to oldest, it's just random.  Sometimes I go back and I can't even find a post.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

This site needs content, take it away and viewers will say there's nothing of interest here and they'll go elsewhere. - what Wrench said.  Linking to cars for sale does not "clog" this forum.

I agree that if a dealer lists an ad, they should pay, but if a member links to a dealer ad (not attempting to benefit the dealer on purpose), that's ok. 

We need more content, not less.  Plus, it keeps our viewers up to date on what's out there and the prices.  Interesting to see, whether the car is purchased by a member or not.

::)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

RFelts

I enjoy seeing interesting cars for sale that members have found. I'm definitely not going to search every geographic location on CL to see interesting Cadillacs, so I'm grateful when members post them here so I can see them. I've been posting links to cars I thought interesting assuming others would likewise find them interesting. If others viewed that as clogging this forum, my apologies.  I do think this will be an awfully slow board if it's limited to members advertising their cars for sale.  Of course, if the moderators say that's how it shall be, I'll abide.
Upper Marlboro, MD

'70 DeVille Conv
'88 Brougham

cadillacmike68

Quote from: 76eldo on October 27, 2020, 10:06:37 AM
Having outside items shown in the For Sale section does nothing for traffic on this site.
It would be great to have more people coming to this message board but the entire message board platform is dying anyway. Every social media platform like FB, Instagram and others are where the traffic is.
My question is of the CLC members and the Message Board members who are looking to buy and sell, then can find their own outside stuff at will. This forum is, I think, for discussion and trade within our group.  To me all of these outside links clog up the pages.

Not for me it's not. Waste of time and i don't like being sold as a product that then targets me for advertising.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Dan LeBlanc

I didn't even bother posting my 77 Brougham for sale here.  I put it up on eBay and within 48 hours, I had a phone call with a strong offer, payment in full the next day, and now I'm just waiting on the buyer's transport company to pick it up.  My firm belief is that very few cars sell on message boards as the market is too focused.  By that, I don't just mean this forum, it's others I frequent as well.

When I sold the 70 deVille Convertible, first go round one eBay was a flake, and the second go round, sold within 48 hours.

Not so much as a nibble on the 77 Brougham (when I first thought of selling it in 2019) or the 70 deVille Convertible from the forums I had it listed on.  Both sold at my full asking price.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I just read this thread and am thinking, "Where do you guys think this stuff up?" Unless you are looking for a purple 1957-58 Eldorado Brougham, there are so many cars out there that there is no way your spouse is going to let you buy all of them.

It seems that you (collectively) are not happy unless you can readily see each and every Cadillac or LaSalle in the country that is, or might be for sale.

I don't check the For Sale section, mainly as I'm not in the market unless I should win the PCH grand prize, and then I'd go to one of the dealers and tell them what I wanted and wait until he found it for me.

As a Moderator, I can see the point that letting us know that there is a car for sale by a dealer isn't really going to hurt the Forum rules much, but as most of the replies in favor of leaving things the way they are state, "If you're looking for a car, you're going to do just that. Look for it."

And as for the Forum dying on the vine, we regularly get three-four new members of the Forum each and every day.

If you feel you must, repeat "must" tell about a car you heard of for sale, make reference to the fact in the For Sale section saying that you know of a Sky Blue Pink '57 Hardtop coupe and to contact you by PM to find out all about it.

(And there was one: When I was a '57 Technician, a CLC member called up and wanted to know why his black '57 CDV had two paint codes on the firewall. I looked up the #s on my paint chart and found that the car was Mountain Laurel and a shade of light blue on the top. It had been repainted black.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

chrisntam

We read - we learn

We critique - we learn

Life is about enjoyment, inclusiveness (dealer ads), learning and growing, not task completion.   Leave the linked dealer ads there for us to learn, critique and enjoy.

My $0.02.

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

BJM

As with most subjects robustly discussed on this forum I appreciate the respectful responses. I agree few cars are purchased from the ads I and others post but the information  we learn from the marketplace is invaluable.  This in turn helps us when we do go to sell or buy.  That was the purpose of my posting that car. Was $20,000 a fair price for such a low mileage car?  What does a low mileage car look like?  Is it really a low mileage car?  I've learned a lot from the regular forum attendees. 

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I agree with BJM. The ads and the feedback to them are learning experiences.

If you don't like the dealer ads, you can pass them by. Simple enough.

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on October 27, 2020, 01:27:51 PM
I just read this thread and am thinking, "Where do you guys think this stuff up?" Unless you are looking for a purple 1957-58 Eldorado Brougham, there are so many cars out there that there is no way your spouse is going to let you buy all of them.

It seems that you (collectively) are not happy unless you can readily see each and every Cadillac or LaSalle in the country that is, or might be for sale.

I don't check the For Sale section, mainly as I'm not in the market unless I should win the PCH grand prize, and then I'd go to one of the dealers and tell them what I wanted and wait until he found it for me.

As a Moderator, I can see the point that letting us know that there is a car for sale by a dealer isn't really going to hurt the Forum rules much, but as most of the replies in favor of leaving things the way they are state, "If you're looking for a car, you're going to do just that. Look for it."

And as for the Forum dying on the vine, we regularly get three-four new members of the Forum each and every day.

If you feel you must, repeat "must" tell about a car you heard of for sale, make reference to the fact in the For Sale section saying that you know of a Sky Blue Pink '57 Hardtop coupe and to contact you by PM to find out all about it.

(And there was one: When I was a '57 Technician, a CLC member called up and wanted to know why his black '57 CDV had two paint codes on the firewall. I looked up the #s on my paint chart and found that the car was Mountain Laurel and a shade of light blue on the top. It had been repainted black.)b
b

But where is my Black, Blue or Silver 1992 Brougham d'Elegance with leather seats, CD player and 5.7L Engine??
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

jdemerson

Quote from: chrisntam on October 27, 2020, 10:53:26 AM

I think linking to a dealer ad on a neat car has benefits.  I don't frequent FB or Clist looking for or at cars.  FB is so fouled up, my feed (or whatever it's called) is not newest to oldest, it's just random.  Sometimes I go back and I can't even find a post.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

This site needs content, take it away and viewers will say there's nothing of interest here and they'll go elsewhere. - what Wrench said.  Linking to cars for sale does not "clog" this forum.

I agree that if a dealer lists an ad, they should pay, but if a member links to a dealer ad (not attempting to benefit the dealer on purpose), that's ok. 

We need more content, not less.  Plus, it keeps our viewers up to date on what's out there and the prices.  Interesting to see, whether the car is purchased by a member or not.

I agree with Chris. No dealer ads, but allow Forum members to post a link to a dealer ad if they think it is of interest to, and informs, our readers. There are other reasons we look at ads for interesting Cadillacs besides actually being in the market to buy a particular model.

My vote is with Bryan, Chris, Mike, and Alan. "if you don't like it, skip over it."

Respectfully (of ALL opinions),
John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

chrisntam

Hurry, I've got dealer ad I want to post, it's a '70 Convertible, triple black, 9,800 actual miles (documented), all the options including rear shoulder belts.  Price is $19,888.00.

Just kidding.  But I do see the benefit of linking to unusual cars that dealers have.

>:D
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Clewisiii

I don't care to see an add to reference what cars Asking price is.

Lets start a thread with people showing what they actually paid for the car they are driving.

It is just like discussing your pay at work.  Not talking about how much you make in no way helps the employee only the company.   
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

cadillacmike68

Quote from: chrisntam on October 28, 2020, 02:49:38 PM
Hurry, I've got dealer ad I want to post, it's a '70 Convertible, triple black, 9,800 actual miles (documented), all the options including rear shoulder belts.  Price is $19,888.00.

Where??

I personally think they should be allowed WITH clear info from the forum member who posts it stating that it is a dealer ad and if a post is out of order, an admin can remove it.   Or as Tina Turner said: bust a deal, face the wheel.

I'm still looking for that 1992 Brougham...

Just kidding.  But I do see the benefit of linking to unusual cars that dealers have.

>:D
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

bctexas

FWIW, I bought my '65 CDV from a private party through an ad on this forum.  And I am looking at a second car posted there.  So it has been a great service for me.  Neither car had been advertised elsewhere to my knowledge.

As for "dealer" ads, it would be nice if they were identified as dealers.  But I don't see the harm.  The more the merrier I say.  I consider the info a service to the members of the forum.  Heck, one of them might just have the '68 Fleetwood 60S of my dreams!

As far as dealers paying, I'll leave that up to the hard working folks who keep this thing going. 

Happy Motoring!
Bernie
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

chrisntam

Quote from: BJM on October 27, 2020, 09:20:48 AM
Removing topic by request.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 11:14:26 PM by BJM »

To set the record straight, BJM removed the message himself.   He did this at the same time he requested that the Administrators delete his Membership of the Forum.

Bruce Reynolds,
Forum Administrator

Not happy about losing a contributing member that generated healthy discussion on this board....

He bought Cadillacs (2 IIRC), had some upheaval in his life, sold them and returned some months later, contributing once again.  Now he's gone.  Are some rules and enforcement of rules chasing members away?  Was a reason provided as to why he wanted his profile deleted?

Do the moderators consult each other prior to a decision being made or does only one decide?  Seems like the decision to cease linked dealer ads is questionable (given the feedback here) at best.

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas