News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Why is my rear driver side hanging low

Started by Finndorado, October 31, 2020, 08:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadman-iac

Hey Mika,

Greg has made a really good point here about a possible cause for the "tilt" condition.  But instead of a worn or weak spring in the rear, I'm thinking that the right front torsion bar may have been adjusted to keep the car level when an overweight person was sitting in the passenger seat. Once the person was out of the car, the right front corner would rise, and cause the left rear to "appear" to sag.

Like Greg, I recall an overweight customer who had come in to the dealership to have his car worked on, and it had a really bad "tilt" to the driver's side, even after he got out of the car. It was an older Chevy, '68 or '69, so it didn't have an adjustable torsion bar on it.

Maybe if you are able to ask the person who restored the car what condition the front seats were in, such as the springs being collapsed or broken on either side, that could be a clue as to what was done to it, as far as an adjustment to one of the torsion bars goes anyway.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Finndorado

Hey Rick

I believe that might be one of possible reasons.
Next week I can get the car on pit and be able to
measure all corners better, with rear shocks empty,
and adjust the passenger side torsion bar.
Actually I found the car from YouTube before restoration
and sending to Finland, and here is couple of screenshots where
you can see the passenger side door and seat, and how worn
they were. The drivers side was in better condition.
And looking at that condition brings to my mind how much that
mileage 29 900 can be possible...
Maybe someone was living in it but not driving it 😄.

Mika

1973 Eldorado convertible

Cadman-iac

Yes, I'd be interested in what you find out. The seat and armrest are pretty rough looking, so I guess it's possible that's the reason for your problem. An overweight passenger that is.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Finndorado

Quote from: Cadman-iac on November 10, 2020, 04:59:28 PM
Yes, I'd be interested in what you find out. The seat and armrest are pretty rough looking, so I guess it's possible that's the reason for your problem. An overweight passenger that is.

Rick

Rick and TJ

Took a long time to tell how this ended, but I had more urgent things to do first.
I changed my rear coil springs to new ones, didn't solve the problem.
Inspected the rear shocks many times and thought that it
must be the drivers side shock that's faulty being lower. Jacked lower side up and
put max air pressure (jacked down) and checked them after few days, they do not leak.
Then today I adjusted down the front passenger torsion bar and that's what
made the rear even ! First 4 rounds to see, then 6 or 8 rounds more.
Amazing what an effect. Now the drivers side rear shock is only 1cm lower,
maybe because of being under more pressure for long time, but now I am satisfied.
In that picture outside of the garage when the situation was the worst,
I only concentrated level surface in the rear, but the passenger side front
wheel was on a bump so it twisted the drivers side rear more down.
Stupid me not to notice that earlier when got a hint from here.
Thanks a lot for your support !

Mika

Big Fins

Now you need to have your front end alignment checked. You changed the ride height on the passenger side. You affected all three. Caster, camber and while very little, the toe-in.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Finndorado

Quote from: Big Fins on May 12, 2022, 06:33:35 PM
Now you need to have your front end alignment checked. You changed the ride height on the passenger side. You affected all three. Caster, camber and while very little, the toe-in.

Damn, that's true.
If they were aligned in the first place..

Mika

Big Fins

That's the reason I never moved my torsion bar adjustment to make up for the sagging rear on the left side. I replaced the springs.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille