News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

No part being reproduced!

Started by 6caddy2, October 31, 2020, 03:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6caddy2

As the subject line say's.

Own a 1962 convertible, looking for any idea(s) for replacing and or modifying a door conduit, this is where it is attached to the body going to the door(s) for the wiring for the windows, light, vacuum line for door locks, etc... they where made from rubber. Mine have become brittle to where as I had a wire that has been chaffing for some time now leading me to this problem, do to the "rubber conduit" having crumbled away, as the drivers window was intermittent.

Thank you for your thoughts and or ideas! Joe
1962 convertible
1979 Fleetwood brougham d'Elegance
1981 Coupe deVille 368 FI 864
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
SOLD- 1978 sedan deVille

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Check with the Chevy, Buick  or Pontiac guys.
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

M. Bankes

I have some decent used original ones, I believe I may have one here for a ‘62, I can check. Best to email me directly at sales@cadillacville.com to remind me
Thanks
Michael

scotth3886

Quote from: 6caddy2 on October 31, 2020, 03:41:59 PM
As the subject line say's.

Own a 1962 convertible, looking for any idea(s) for replacing and or modifying a door conduit, this is where it is attached to the body going to the door(s) for the wiring for the windows, light, vacuum line for door locks, etc... they where made from rubber. Mine have become brittle to where as I had a wire that has been chaffing for some time now leading me to this problem, do to the "rubber conduit" having crumbled away, as the drivers window was intermittent.

Thank you for your thoughts and or ideas! Joe

How close is this?

https://www.opgi.com/ignition-electrical/electrical-wiring/1964-72-power-window-wiring-boot/boot-power-window-harness-1964-67-a-body-adn5876.html

fishnjim

search "power window wiring (harness) boot"   They're out there may not be by make/year.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

It is possible that 1961 would fit as well being the same body shell. (Possibly for 1963-64 too.) The best bet would be for 1961/62 Buick Electra or 225.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Clewisiii

Here are images from a 61.  I believe this is the same as yours.  And no these are not being reproduced.   I have heard people say they have had success modifying a conduit from a Corvette to fit these openings.  Attached is a link for you to have a look.  I am not really sure what year they modified but from a quick search this looks like the closest. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143389247651

I have looked into reproducing the conduits.  I already have 50 pounds of the resin.  The shop told me $5000 to cut a prototype molding tool.  But I need to supply CAD.  I talked to one company who would scan my part to try to reproduce the CAD.  But my conduit is in such bad shape I do not want to pay them to scan this and then not be happy with the results.  So this is a back burner project.

"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

6caddy2

Hey guys, thanks for all the input about the conduits, Bob, I did go to the BOP,  chevy guys, there are some listings for conduits for 61-62 full size chevy, BOP"s and Cadillac's, that are being reproduced, before I made this post, I ordered a set and they DO NOT fit!!  They are extremely close, but fall short for the Cadillac's wide swing of the door, the company I ordered from is a well known business in the classic car industry, they will glady take them back for a full refund, which is great, but still leaves me searching for a solution to my conduit problem.

Carl, I seem to remember when the 61/62 forum was up and going that someone "was" or "going" to try and have these reproduced, waited 5yrs and never heard any more about the progress and or an update and unfortunately we lost the site, so hence this post, I remember it was a guy on the 61/62 site that had used the C4 corvette conduits without to much modification for his complete rebuild of his 62CDV, in which he ran the wires through the conduit then into the door, which I really dont't want to have to pull door panels off, but at least thats an option I can consider, as you know ours are split at bottom and fasten with rubber type fasteners. Carl I fully understand your position on not wanting to have yours scanned and then they turn out badly.

Mr. Bankes, Email sent to you. Again gentlemen thank you for all your input on these conduits. Joe
1962 convertible
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
SOLD- 1978 sedan deVille

Clewisiii

Take a good look at your car. I think all the wires have a connection under the dash.  The wires were actually installed in the door first then the leads were pulled out the door and under the dash corners.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

6caddy2

WOW!! learn something new everyday, It didn't even dawn on me Carl, that's a very good thought on how the assembly of the doors would have been done on the line, gonna check that out tomorrow after work!! If this is the case, then using the C4 vette conduits would be a very viable solution for myself, until a good used pair can be found and or correct ones can be reproduced. Thanks again Carl for the insight, your garage floor is looking awesome, your gonna love the floor, the garage itself looks awesome as well!! I'll report back on the wiring, as to a connection under the dash.
                                                Joe
1962 convertible
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
SOLD- 1978 sedan deVille

Cadillac Fleetwood

The wiring to the LH door originates inside the car.  The LH side harness for the power windows joins the RH side in a large block connector at the center of the car, under the dash top, below the windshield. There is also a connector near the kick panel for the relay, and for the power feed. One branch of the in-car harness connects to the side of the fuse panel.

On cars such as the Coupe de Ville, 62 series convertible, and Fleetwood 60S, the power seat switch is in the door. After leaving the door, the power seat wiring enters a plastic channel that runs inboard of, and parallel to the door sill plate, making an abrupt right-angle turn inboard, forward of the seat.

Courtesy light wiring is part of the body harness, with only the last leg of the courtesy wiring, near the door handle, being separate.

What this means is that when you replace the conduit, you will pull all of the wiring out of the door and into the LH kick panel/cowl area., not the opposite. You will then reinstall a replacement conduit, and thread  all of the wiring back into the door.

You want to avoid disconnecting the large block at the center of the dash, because there is a brass  tab inside that is part of one of the connector ends. It is designed to lock the two halves together, and prevent disconnects.  If memory serves, the shop manual states that "this is not to be separated in service" or something along those lines.

So, once you remove the interior door panel, you will disconnect the window and seat switches, as well as the courtesy lamp wiring. You will also disconnect the two-wire connector at the window motor, which is low, and far forward in the door. If equipped, you will disconnect the two-way connector for the power vent windows. You will carefully fish these out through the hole in the forward portion of the door, and then draw them into the  kick panel area through the hole in the cowl.

This will be far easier than the opposite way about, since you will not have to disconnect the large central connector, the power feed, the fuse panel, the relay, or the pigtail that powers the LH rear quarter window. Nor will you have to take up the door sill, carpeting, and wiring channel to deal with the power seat wiring.

Don't ask me how I know this...  Best of luck with this project.

Charles Fares

Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

6caddy2

Thank you Charles for the info, you would be correct, as I traced the wiring into the front "body" cowl, where they continued into and behind the dash, wear they where routed to a large block connector, the length of the door wires from point "A" being inside the door, to point "B" the large connector block middle of firewall, any where along it path(s) are no "connector" in which one could seperate said wiring harness and be able to remove this, moving it back towards the door in the area of the door hinges where the door conduits are. So if I use a completely enclosed "type of conduit" I will have to remove the door panel, disconnect all power leads from there designated places, pull thru door opening at front of door and then install conduit, pull wires back thru "being very careful as not to cut and or chaff, break, or other wise damage wiring harness" and reconnect leads where removed from switches, motor's, light's, etc... then secure the conduit to the body of car, once this is done I should be well practiced and restart process all over again for passengers side >:( :o :D.
1962 convertible
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
SOLD- 1978 sedan deVille

Clewisiii

I still think it is easier the other way. Here is a picture of the door wiring harnesses.  The only thing I am not showing are vacuum tubes. I do not know if 62 has vacuum door locks like 61.  But I believe the vacuum tubes have a brass fitting near the door jamb.

Wire under dash on right. Wire in door on left. The fittings to the door switches are very large.

arch62

I remember from the old MidCenturyCadillacs forums. Conduits from Corvettes work.