News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 Caddy 60S starting help

Started by canzoman, November 06, 2020, 09:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canzoman

Hi all!

Just starting to get a 41 60S going after sitting a year. Replaced battery and now it turn over but will not stay started. It dies quick even if pressing accelerator.

Fuel pump is full wondering if the carb acc pump is working or if the fuel pump is pumping into the carb.

It only really starts when I put a little gas or starter fluid into the carb.

Wondering where to start to help diagnos.

fishnjim

Put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel line and see if it's working.
Things dry out sitting and you might have some residue gumming things up.   Depends what condition it was in before sitting, how well it'll survive a sitting spell.
I'll say it again.   Always check out each system before you try to start/drive one.   If all the systems are working, it has to start and if it doesn't you'll know what to re-check.   
I install; fuel press, voltage, tach, and vacuum gauges on all early(pre-electronic) cars to aid diagnosis.   

canzoman

Thank you.

It sat for a year. I was able to get it started now and idle ok. I ran some sea foam in it as well.
Only issues now is when I give it a little gas it stalls right out. If I give it a lot of gas it tends to go. Confirmed gas it squirting into carb. I am wondering if there is a choke on the inside of the car that I am missing.

Jim Stamper

It sounds like the accelerator pump. Remove the top and take a look.    Jim Stamper CLC#13470

canzoman

Quote from: Jim Stamper on November 08, 2020, 07:59:21 PM
It sounds like the accelerator pump. Remove the top and take a look.    Jim Stamper CLC#13470
Thanks will take a look.

harvey b

Is the choke closed over,if it is open that will make them hard to keep running until it warms up?try holding it shut or tie it shut and see if that helps,the idle mix screws should be a turn and a half out for a basic starting point to get it to idle after it warms up.My 37 will not start cold without the choke closed over,it will spin over all day and not fire like that,close the choke and it starts right up.Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

Ohjai

Is all the lonage connected.  The vertical linkage on the left side of the carb, towards the rear of the car had come out of its pivot point and car would not start.  I need a new link because it won't stay in without a bit of spit and bubble gum.

Jim
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
'64 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
'75 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad Sold
'78 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad II
'80 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II  Sold
'81 Rolls-Royce Camargue  Sold
'88 Rolls-Royce Corniche II
'89 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur
2020 Ford Escape

canzoman

Quote from: harvey b on November 09, 2020, 11:07:58 AM
Is the choke closed over,if it is open that will make them hard to keep running until it warms up?try holding it shut or tie it shut and see if that helps,the idle mix screws should be a turn and a half out for a basic starting point to get it to idle after it warms up.My 37 will not start cold without the choke closed over,it will spin over all day and not fire like that,close the choke and it starts right up.Harveyb

I am trying to locate if there is a mechanism for the choke in the car. Or is it adjusted on the side of the carb?

I also found some debris in the fuel filter tonight that I had not noticed.

But curious about the choke and where it is located on this 41

canzoman

Quote from: Ohjai on November 09, 2020, 04:17:02 PM
Is all the lonage connected.  The vertical linkage on the left side of the carb, towards the rear of the car had come out of its pivot point and car would not start.  I need a new link because it won't stay in without a bit of spit and bubble gum.

Jim
That linkage that control the flap on the top of carb just flips open and will not stay shut if I let it go. All other linkage looks good.

harvey b

You should be able to depress the throttle linkage and close the flap,it should "lock" in place,it will open when you press the pedal? try that and see if it will start,let it run for a few seconds before you press the pedal,I am not familar with the 41 carbs,i dont know if they are an electric choke or if they have a cable type setup,on my 37 it has a electric choke,it took some fiddling to get it setup right,but it works now as it is supposed to.Can you take a picture of the flap area,someone here may be able to tell wht you are missing?,if any thing at all. Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

canzoman

Quote from: harvey b on November 10, 2020, 07:23:55 AM
You should be able to depress the throttle linkage and close the flap,it should "lock" in place,it will open when you press the pedal? try that and see if it will start,let it run for a few seconds before you press the pedal,I am not familar with the 41 carbs,i dont know if they are an electric choke or if they have a cable type setup,on my 37 it has a electric choke,it took some fiddling to get it setup right,but it works now as it is supposed to.Can you take a picture of the flap area,someone here may be able to tell wht you are missing?,if any thing at all. Harveyb
Sure here are some pics.

harry s

The choke thermostat which is located on the opposite end of the butterfly shaft
(round housing with three screws) is what controls the tension. It can be adjusted by loosening the three screws along with loosening or removing the choke heater tube and turning the housing. You should be able to see the butterfly move. If not the tension spring maybe missing or not in place. The procedure for adjusting the choke is explained in the service manual. Good Luck.
Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

canzoman

Quote from: harry s on November 10, 2020, 10:19:35 AM
The choke thermostat which is located on the opposite end of the butterfly shaft
(round housing with three screws) is what controls the tension. It can be adjusted by loosening the three screws along with loosening or removing the choke heater tube and turning the housing. You should be able to see the butterfly move. If not the tension spring maybe missing or not in place. The procedure for adjusting the choke is explained in the service manual. Good Luck.
Harry
Thanks I have seen that and will adjust. Thank you.

canzoman

Update so I did open the assembly to the choke and adjusted it.

Seems to have helped in allowing the flap to stay shut when needed until hot. I may need to adjust a little more.

Still a little hesitant when I give it gas but it didn’t stall out like it used. I think I may clean out everything from the fuel tank to the carb and see how that does. I have to pull the fuel pump anyway.

canzoman

So I found it is definitely the choke. Would anyone be able to send me a couple pages to adjust the choke thermostat? It needs adjusting.

canzoman

Update I got it going and running well now. The dial on the choke thermostat was stuck. After twisting it a bit I am able to adjust the choke now and set it up.

Went for a drive around the block and ran great. Thanks for all your help!