News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

2011 DTS: Lane departure warning (solved)

Started by Roger Zimmermann, November 07, 2020, 07:11:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

Since I bought that DTS new in 2011, I never used the lane departure warning system. Recently, I had the bad idea to check that system: I pressed on the switch which is near the light knob; the small amber light did not come.
No big deal, if I drove the car 9 years without that feature, I can continue without it.
Since I pressed that switch, the message "Service the lane departure system" is coming each time the engine is started. No big deal again, I'm pushing again on the switch and the message is going away.
During the bulb test before starting, the green symbol from the system is coming on and is going away like the other symbols.
If I'm reading the diagnostic aid from the shop manual, the system has a camera integrated into the inside rear view mirror. By looking at the schematic, I don't see that camera...
I will soon go to the dealer for the regular maintenance (I don't do it myself on such cars); if the problem is easy to solve without parts replacement I'll let do it (sometimes a new software is doing wonders); if the inside mirror or something else must be replaced, this is not worth the small trouble to push on the button at each engine starting.
Do someone here know which are the most malfunctions from this system?
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Can almost guarantee the windshield module has failed which is extremely common. Replacement takes about 5 minutes.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Jamurray

I was turned on to Cadillacs by a guy I used to work with. His purchasing criteria involved buying them with over 200,000 miles with a little bit of rust on the wheel wells. "They run forever, but it's their electrics that finally do them in." He was spot on.

Electronics gremlins are no longer as unique to American luxury cars as they once had been. 

walt chomosh #23510

Roger,
  I own a 09DTS W/O the land departure option and decided that I "had" to have that feature. I figured that I could find one at the salvage and simply purchase parts needed and it would be a "plug and play". My local Cadillac dealer told me that the later models (XTS/CT6) were far superior in regards to that option. And, after market units are not worth wasting time....their junk. (also wanted lane departure on my RV) (by the way,that comment came from a shop who sells and installs after market units!) I'll admit I've been looking for a later model Cadillac but sure would hate to give up my DTS.....walt...tulsa,ok

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks for the answers! Eric, thanks also for the link to that module. I have also the impression it must be the culprit: I don't see the headlamp switch failing (but it can) nor the camera. If the camera would not function, the probable message will be "Lane departure system not available".
Yesterday, I noticed that the message "Service the lane departure system" don't go away anymore!
If I'm letting the local dealer replace the windshield module, it will costs me about $ 1000.00. If I'm ordering that module, it will cost me about $ 350.00 with taxes and shipping. Based to the experience from Eric, I'll order that module.
It could be that the module was defective since a very long time; my stupid activation of the system was the input for the message on the DIS.

To Walt: I have no need for that system. I did not equipped the car myself, it was a car somebody else ordered by a Swiss dealer. He specified a front bench; for whatever reason, the car came with bucket seats. The customer (who is the president for the Swiss Cadillac club) refused the car; the dealer had to reorder another one and had this on stock to his dismay. At that time, I had a 2000 DTS bought used from a Swiss member from the Cadillac club. For another matter, I discussed over the phone with the unlucky dealer; the discussion went to the STD models and he said he as one in stock. I went to the dealership to see the car; he did me a reasonable offer; the rest is history.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger...Keep in mind I cannot guarantee this will be the fix in you case but based on my experience with a 2008 DTS exhibiting the identical symptoms you describe, I'm extremely confident it will.

Some have reported the car will need to be driven x miles in order for the new module to calibrate to the rest of the electronics in the system; in my case, the cure was instant without the need to drive the car.

Good luck.

Roger Zimmermann

I know that Eric! A diagnostic over Internet is most of the time difficult. You had a similar experience; I'm trying it too. If the module does not cure the issue, it will be a spare part. It should arrive around the 25th of November. I'll let you know about the results!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

cadillacmike68

My 2009 STS had the LDW feature and that module went. It was pricey but not $1,000. More like $700 parts & labor, but that was still high enough!
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on November 08, 2020, 05:13:52 PM
My 2009 STS had the LDW feature and that module went. It was pricey but not $1,000. More like $700 parts & labor, but that was still high enough!
Mike, don't forget that the spare parts prices are much higher in Switzerland than in the US. As I'm doing the warranty administration for some dealers in Switzerland, I can see the prices in the US and what would be charged to a customer. When I have the part number from that module, I can check what the local dealer would have to pay for that and calculate the approximate retail price.
Edit:
The part number is 23393373. The dealer price in Europe is 498.02 Euros (about $ 545.00) and retail is â,¬ 711.45 (about $ 780.00). In Switzerland (we are "not" in Europe), the retail will be about $ 850.00-$ 900.00. My first estimate was not too bad!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Big Fins

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on November 09, 2020, 02:37:51 AM

In Switzerland (we are "not" in Europe),

Please enlighten me Roger. I learned the Switzerland is a landlocked country bordered by, France, Italy, Germany and I think Liechtenstein. All of these countries are in what we call the European Union, situated on the continent of Europe.

EDIT: Sorry for the deviation of the topic, but I would just like clarification on this.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Big Fins on November 09, 2020, 07:18:45 AM
Please enlighten me Roger. I learned the Switzerland is a landlocked country bordered by, France, Italy, Germany and I think Liechtenstein. All of these countries are in what we call the European Union, situated on the continent of Europe.

You are right, John. We are, geography speaking, in the middle of Europe, but we don't belong to the European Union! As you know, England is since this year out of it; their problems will begin soon, as we have our own with the EU!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger...The seller of the part for the link I posted above lists Switzerland as one of the countries to which they ship.

Roger Zimmermann

Yes, Eric. I got the buy confirmation from eBay; however, it's not yet shipped.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Big Fins

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on November 09, 2020, 08:15:39 AM
You are right, John. We are, geography speaking, in the middle of Europe, but we don't belong to the European Union! As you know, England is since this year out of it; their problems will begin soon, as we have our own with the EU!

Thank you for the educational update. I honestly was unaware of Switzerland not being part of the EU. I need to study a bit more on world order.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Roger Zimmermann

You are welcome, John. And, of course, we don't have the Euro but the Swiss franc!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

The camera module came yesterday; I installed it this morning. The difficulties: to disconnect the wiring because the inside mirror is just in front of it. Then to have a suitable tool to push the retainers. A small screwdriver is too long; fortunately, with my scale model construction I have plenty of scrap brass, I just had to go three stores up to reach an adequate tool!
Once the module was installed, I let run the engine: the "service thing" is no more there, and the small lamp at the switch is either on or off, depending when the device is actuated or not.

Thanks Eric for the useful hint!

For those who never saw that small box, 2 pictures: one from the front. Due to the black paint on the windshield, only the camera is seen from outside. The other is what you can see from inside the car. Of course, there are many electronic components. Which one failed?
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

Drove the car Saturday with the system on: it's working as intended! While I was searching for symptoms in the owner's manual, I saw that I also have the option "Intellibeam" which was off since 9 years!
Did a short drive yesterday evening: definitively better than the Autronic Eyes from the fifties: it reacts also when following a car or when the surrounds have some lights. However, it does not react quickly enough (1 second delay) when a vehicle is coming with headlamps on. The system could be useful when driving with little traffic. At least, there is a switch to shut it off.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101