News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1969 Deville: Installing Harmonic Balancer Damper Hub

Started by 69Deville, November 10, 2020, 09:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69Deville

I'm wrapping up a timing chain replacement and am unsure if I have the damper hub pressed on all of the way. If I reach into the front of the engine, there is still a little play on between the hub and the oil slinger. Should the hub sandwich the slinger against the sprocket? I can line the pulleys up now, but am concerned that the slinger will rattle.

Thanks!
1969 Cadillac Deville Convertible
1966 Cadillac Series 60 Fleetwood
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham-sold :(

Big Fins

It must be seated all the way to be proper. What did you use to 'press' the hub on?

That rattle or looseness may cause premature wear on the crank.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

69Deville

I first used a loaner installer from an auto parts store. The shop manual states not to crank down too hard on it or it will damage the tool. From there, I used a bolt with a large washer and nut to press it on further. I can continue to press it until it seats against the slinger, I just was getting nervous as I was using quite a bit of force.

DeVille68

Hello,

If I remember correctly on my rebuild of my 472 the crank is about 1/4'' deeper than the end of the pulley. See the picture attached.
Best regards,
Nicolas
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

Big Fins

Quote from: 69Deville on November 10, 2020, 03:00:27 PM
I first used a loaner installer from an auto parts store. The shop manual states not to crank down too hard on it or it will damage the tool. From there, I used a bolt with a large washer and nut to press it on further. I can continue to press it until it seats against the slinger, I just was getting nervous as I was using quite a bit of force.

I wanted to mention the 9/16" bolt with nut and washers, but I deleted the picture I have of it and don't recall the thread pitch. Put that bolt into the crank snout as deep as it will go, it won't go that far and just snug it up. Then use the nut up against the washers that should have some sort of lube on them to stop any binding. Then run the nut down until the hub seats. It's a tight fit, but it does go all the way. You'll 'feel' it when it seats. Hopefully, you have the Woodruff key in the slot properly. I'm pretty sure if you didn't, the hub wouldn't have gone on as far as it has.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

DeVille68

its' 9/16-18 (UNF)
I bought a long one (2'') and a short one. The first to press the hub on, the second to keep in the crank to turn it easily. Put lube on the thread and also on the crank and hub.

Best regards,
Nicolas
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

69Deville

Thank you all.

I finished pressing it on today and am putting it all back together.

I appreciate all of the advice and tips.

TJ Hopland

Don't forget that if you are going to set up dizzy on #1 you want both the cam and crank timing marks at 12 o clock.    If you left them at 12 and 6 then set it up for #4.    Also remember #1 is on the right side of the engine which is different than most other American engines of the era. 

And another thing remember the 7/16 head bolts in the water pump only thread into the 'tin' timing cover and their torque spec is in inch pounds,  not Ft like the rest on that chart in the manual. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

69Deville

Quote from: TJ Hopland on November 11, 2020, 06:59:22 PM
Don't forget that if you are going to set up dizzy on #1 you want both the cam and crank timing marks at 12 o clock.    If you left them at 12 and 6 then set it up for #4.    Also remember #1 is on the right side of the engine which is different than most other American engines of the era. 

And another thing remember the 7/16 head bolts in the water pump only thread into the 'tin' timing cover and their torque spec is in inch pounds,  not Ft like the rest on that chart in the manual.

Thank you for the reminders TJ. Those water pump bolts are nerve wracking.

69Deville

Thank you to everyone here for your help. Everything is buttoned back up and after a few tries with the distributor (I always need a few tries  >:( ) , it fired right up and sounds great! I'll dial in the carb and timing this weekend and we should be good to go.