News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 best way to cement new trunk kit?

Started by Hillbillycat, November 11, 2020, 03:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hillbillycat

Hi, what is the preferred method and material in cementing the new tar/felt backed trunk mat to the sheet metal?
I was thinking either spray glue or roller on contact cement. But both are one try only. Any ideas or hints?

I have half a can of 3M Scotch weld left over but not sure if this will adhere to the tar felt backing of the trunk mat. The old glue in the trunk was some red stuff that looked like being applied in a rush with a huge roller.

Thank you

Caddieman53

Use 3M Super77 Multipurpose Adhesive (in a spray can). I used it on my trunk kit for my 53 over 17 years ago. Still holding tight.
P. W. Allen

53 Cadillac Coupe 6237X
Twin Turbine

Hillbillycat

I´m wondering on what is the best approach to prevent both cardboard and trunk mats from getting stained with glue.

The cardboard surroundings come in first. Then the mats are glued upon, right?

Or is it wise to mess with the glue BEFORE the cardboard is installed? But how to attach the cardboard to the chassis tabs then? Leaving a surrounding of about 2" free from glue and tacking this down AFTER the carboard is in? This will make ruining the trunk mat itself even more possible.

How did you guys do this?

Thank you for your help.